Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Officer
Contract Type: This is a fixed-term contract for the period of 3 months.
- The M&E Officer will serve as the main focal person for all monitoring and evaluation activities which include data validation, DQA, coordination meetings, capacity building in data quality and supportive supervisory visit to strengthen the data management system in SMC intervention in the state.
- S/he will assist and report to the state programme manager regarding the monitoring and evaluation of SMC activities.
Scope of work
- The SMC intervention is community-based, however, the staff is expected to work with the MC State M&E Specialist, ICT4D Teams, State HMIS, SMEP M&E Officer, LGA SMC team, health facility workers and community volunteers for proper management of intervention data.
- The officer will work as part of the project team under the direct supervision and guidance of the State Programme Manager for the attainment of the project goal.
- Plan and implement M&E activities related to SMC in the approved work plan under the guidance of the State Program Manager and the Country office M & E team.
- Serve as the focal person for all SMC-related monitoring and evaluation work for the project within the state.
- Manage the data collection and management processes before, during and after each round of mass SMC drug administration, including sentinel site monitoring
- Adapt and maintain a high quality SMC personnel database at all levels/cadres and update this database as need arises, guided by the SMC personnel replacement/update protocol.
- Routinely monitor project and implementing entities’ performance against targets and prepare monthly and periodic reports on M&E activities for SMC intervention per activity per cycle with reference to the microplan.
- Conduct regular granular data review and analysis for feedback to LGAs for program improvement, and for updates to state and national level (MC and government).
- Support SMoH staff with coordinating program management activities, by ensuring that the recommended coordination and dissemination meetings hold at the LGA and state levels and within stipulated timelines.
- Work with the state and LGA Health staff to ensure that reports are obtained from all health SMC-implementing facilities within the state through appropriate state and project-specific mechanisms.
- Participate in regular monitoring and supervisory visits to SMC-implementing health facilities, and ensure that corrective action plans are developed for identified gaps, and tracked accordingly.
- Participate in cyclical LQAS surveys (as applicable), ensure timely survey data analysis and feedback, development and implementation of facility-specific performance improvement plans informed by the outputs of the LQAS.
- Support the development and implementation of feedback and response channels to reflect the preferences of community members and beneficiaries.
- Ensure that beneficiary feedback is adequately documented, addressed, analyzed, and utilized by program teams.
- Work with SMC Supply Chain Officer to triangulate and reconcile SMC service and consumption data per cycle
- Ensure high quality data are available in useable format on a regular and timely basis for programmatic decision making and donor reporting.
- Work with Supply Chain Officer, Cluster Supervisors and Field Officers to Coordinate the documentation of SMC activities in form of reports and ensure proper archiving of such for easy access and reference (in both hard format and electronic format on Sharepoint)
- Provide direct technical assistance and capacity building for state and LGA level implementers in the design and implementation of SMC monitoring and evaluation activities
- Represent MC and make presentations at professional meetings and conferences related to Monitoring, Evaluation and research, including monthly end-of-cycle review meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Statistics, Demography, Mathematics or any other relevant quantitative relevant discipline
- Five-year post-qualification experience
- Demonstrable contextual knowledge of local issues, community priorities, social and cultural constraints and realities related to community assessment, project design, evaluation and implementation
- Cognate experience in monitoring and evaluation of community-based interventions is highly desirable
- Experience in managing HMIS and CLMS and familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems as well as community-level programme implementation will be added advantages
- Fluency in written and spoken English Work-based skills and competence
- A solid understanding of health systems strengthening.
Work-based skills and competencies:
- Demonstrable passion for Malaria Consortium’s mission; a strategic manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment
- Proficiency in database management especially DHIS; Excel, Word, PowerPoint and demonstrable experience with statistical software packages (Stata, SPSS, Power BI or Tableau)
- Experience in survey design and implementation, development of data bases and analysis and write up of survey results
- Previous experience in use and manipulation of electronic reporting systems, softwares (including Kobocollect, SurveyCTO, ODK, Magpi, RedRose), databases, general ICT4D solutions is required.
- Demonstrated skills in data management and quantitative data analysis
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model
- Proven writing, communication and presentation skills in English
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality
- Facilitation and coordination skills
- The ideal candidate must be attentive to detail, highly organized, flexible and self-motivated with excellent communication skills in written and oral communication
- He/she must clearly display the ability to effectively prioritise and perform tasks to meet tight deadlines
Application Closing Date
18th July, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Due to the nature of this role we will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis and the role might be filled and closed before the closing date. Early applications are encouraged.
- To apply for this position you will need to have the right to work in Nigeria.