African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: EOI – Coordinator for the implementation of the Green Mobility Facility for Africa – PICU
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Start Date: 1st September 2023
Consultant Type: Individual Consultant
Job Family: Other
- The African Development Bank hereby invites Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in the following assignment: Individual Consultant: Coordinator for the implementation of the Green Mobility Facility for Africa.
- The GMFA is a $685 pan-African catalytic financing programme designed by the African Development Bank (AfDB) to accelerate and expand private sector investments in sustainable transport solutions in Africa through technical assistance and investment capital.
- The AfDB is mobilizing funding to support public and private stakeholders in the green mobility space in improving the enabling conditions, developing bankable projects, and providing adequate long-term blended financing solutions for project implementation.
- This assignment covers green mobility for the public transport sector focused on Electric Vehicles (Electric buses and Electric Two-wheelers) and Compressed Natural Gas Vehicles in 6 countries, namely: Kenya, Morocco, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, and South Africa.
- The GMFA consists of a (i) Technical Assistance (T.A) window for developing a conducive enabling environment and an (ii) investment window providing blended finance instruments such as senior debts and guarantees.
- The GMFA aims to work on the pilot countries and scale up to the African continent.
- The overall GMFA goal is to facilitate the emergence of a green mobility industry in Africa by fostering sustainable urban mobility with efficient and low-emission transport.
- The deployment of electric vehicles and replacing ICE vehicles will result in energy saving and decarbonization of the sector. The GMFA contributes to increasing the pipeline and deal flow of bankable green projects within the transport sector at the downstream stage in which AfDB can invest.
- GMFA is led by the Infrastructure Non-Sovereign Operations Division (PICU 4), part of the Infrastructure, Cities and Urban Development Department (PICU) of the AfDB.
- The T.A window will be managed by a Coordinator to conduct and execute the TA activities (2023-2025), including scoping, procurement, monitoring, and evaluation of the various funds consisting of the T.A.
- The Coordinator will be originating and screening projects and working together with the PICU4 investment officers, structuring, arranging, and co-financing transactions blending in the concessional finance from Climate Fund such as the Green Climate fund (GCF).
Tasks and Deliverables
Major Duties and responsibilities will include the following among others:
- Monitoring and Disbursement:
- Oversight and guidance of the contract framework consultants to provide timely deliverables.
- Respond to address each internal/external fund requirement during the implementation of the facility.
- Update the GMFA Operation Manual.
- Update Implementation schedule (work program and budget as well as procurement plan).
- Update Quarterly progress reports complying with financial institutions reporting requirements.
- Project cycle management:
- Review the indicative pipeline of projects for origination and creation of PEN.
- Participate in project reviews to ensure project external and internal funds requirements are met, including due diligence assessment.
- Support negotiations on execution agreements with executing agencies.
- Build the capacity on the technical aspects of Task Managers, Government and subnational and project developers to understand GMFA eligibility and project cycle of the AfDB.
- Take part in selected Project monitoring missions to specifically assess technical and fiduciary compliance with external climate funds policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with respective Task Managers and GCF compliance with the accreditation instruments regarding Project Management cycles.
- Resource Mobilization:
- Develop proposals for other climate funds.
- Identify potential funding in the countries (local banks, funds, DFIs, projects).
- Communication and Partnership:
- Develop a communication plan.
- Create a partnership with UNEP, GEF, and other institutions working on mobility.
- Develop a Knowledge Management platform on green mobility that responds to internal and external information needs.
- Engage with various stakeholders.
- Coordinate any initiatives such as multi-stakeholder Workshop to present the recommendations of diagnostic, regulatory framework, or policies reports and decide with the government which step to undertake as a priority for the country to develop.
- Coordinate between various stakeholders (bus companies, authorities, ministries, banks).
- Interested Consultants shall provide information on their qualifications and experience demonstrating their ability to undertake this Assignment (documents, reference to similar services, experience in similar assignments, etc.).
- The eligibility criteria, the establishment of a shortlist, and the selection procedures shall be in conformity with the AfDB’s procedures for the acquisition of consulting services funded by the administrative or capital expenditure budget.
Application Closing Date
Friday, 14th July, 2023 (17:00 GMT).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expression of Interest, mentioning the position of “Individual Consultant: Coordinator for the implementation of the Green Mobility Facility for Africa.”
- The shortlist of individual consultants will be established based on the criteria mentioned above.
- Please note that interest expressed by a consultant does not imply any obligation on the part of the Bank to include him/her in the shortlist. The estimated duration of services is 12 months, with the possibility of one extension depending on performance.
- The estimated starting date is 1st September 2023. Interested Individual Consultants may obtain further information at the address below during the Bank’s working hours: 8h00 to 17h00.
- For the EOI to be considered, the Consultants need to be registered in the AfDB DACON Consultant Database by following the link: here