Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. With 151 member states, a further 12 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people. The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement. IOM works in the four broad areas of migration management: Migration and development Facilitating migration Regulating migration Forced migration. IOM activities that cut across these areas include the promotion of international migration law, policy debate and guidance, protection of migrants’ rights, migration health and the gender dimension of migration. IOM Nigeria commenced activities in 2001 and focused its interventions on counter trafficking activities, migration issues, return and reintegration of stranded migrants especially to Liberia, and Voluntary Returns from abroad.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience: 5 – 7 years
- Location: Abuja
- Job Field: Media / Advertising / Branding
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Develop and ensure the implementation of IOM Nigeria internal and external communications strategies, in line with the Organization’s guidelines and donor requirements, to promote an accurate narrative on displacement, migration, and other issues central to IOM with the media, public, donors, the UN and other key partners.
- Develop and manage the project visibility and communications plan in line with donor requirements, while liaising with donor communications focal points and providing them with regular advice, updates and information.
- Prepare relevant communications content produced by IOM Nigeria in a proactive manner, including stories, blogs, video and social media content and provide timely editorial advice and guidance on whether they are best suited for publication on national, regional or global IOM platforms, working with the relevant communications teams at each level.
- Prepare and/or contribute to the development of content for communications campaigns at a national, regional, and international level, including for relevant UN Days.
- Strengthen and maintain IOM Nigeria online presence, including through its social media accounts and website, to increase the impact of IOM Nigeria digital outreach.
- Establish and strengthen links with local, regional and international media to promote the work of IOM in Nigeria, in coordination with the RO and MCD/HQ.
- Prepare key messages, statements, talking points and other relevant background documents for IOM use.
- Manage the work of the graphic design team for the development of internal and external products, including donor updates, infographics and situation reports, ensuring high quality outputs that follow IOM brand guidelines.
- Engage with the UN Country Team Communication Group and other relevant actors and substantively participate in the development of media messages on key issues and collaboratively work on campaigns and issues of joint concern.
- Develop training materials, ensure the delivery of training to team members, other units and field teams and provide advice and assistance to field teams in media and communications matters to increase IOM Nigeria communications capacity.
- Lead field duty travel to ensure photographs and video footage are obtained, as well as material for multi-media content showcasing the humanitarian situation and work being undertaken by IOM in the field.
- Ensure that audio and visual media content being collected by IOM Nigeria includes appropriate informed consent and is captured and stored according to the organization’s digital library and data protection protocols, and take prompt action to address issues.
- Keep abreast of global migration-related developments and processes in the UN system, assess information on displacement, migration and humanitarian developments and emerging issues, and provide advice for the development of IOM related media position.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Development, International
- Relations, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in leading and managing the digital communications and social media activities for an organization.
- Proven experience in corporate writing and editing.
- Experience in managing donor visibility.
- Experience establishing and liaising with the media, preferably in the region.
- Experience in humanitarian communications; and
- Experience working in the region and/or in an emergency setting an advantage.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of migration issues, including the importance of
- promoting social cohesion and migrant inclusion.
- Excellent liaison and networking skills with government agencies, donor, and INGOs/NGOs;
- A high level of personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for results, respects for diversity, creative thinking.
- Ability to establish priorities and undertake assigned tasks with minimum supervision and maintain composure under pressure.
- Ability to manage workload within general schedule of work, instructions, and standard practices.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working
- relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to prepare and present clear and concise technical reports in English in timely manner; and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools like (word-processing, spreadsheet, database, e-mail)