The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Technologist
SVN No.: SVN2023.143
Organizational Unit: Resource Management Unit (RMU)
IOM Classification: G5
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with the possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer and direct supervision of the Senior Laboratory Technologist, the incumbent will be responsible for technical support to laboratory services with respect to Migration Health Assessments (HAP) and other programmes implemented by the IOM Migration Health Division in Abuja, Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Perform laboratory procedures as assigned by the laboratory supervisor for pre-examination, examination, and post-examination activities through the use of the standard relevant equipment.
- Contribute to the implementation of laboratory quality management systems under the guidance of the laboratory supervisor. Take on the focal point role for one or more quality system essentials (QSE) as requested by the laboratory supervisor.
- Ensure standards and the quality of laboratory procedures by strictly following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Adhere to biosafety measures adopted in the laboratory, being responsible for the safety of oneself and others.
- Organize and operate activities on assigned station for accurate, efficient and timely delivery of results.
- Perform quality control and quality assurance activities for assigned stations and document results as required.
- Facilitate laboratory equipment maintenance to ensure these are in good working order and operate equipment appropriately following SOPs.
- Facilitate laboratory stock management and monitor that the equipment and consumables are sufficient for the anticipated work.
- Alert the laboratory supervisor to any problems related to operations, including equipment, stock management and biosafety.
- Facilitate maintenance of established systems of organized record keeping and information management for timely delivery of results, data collection, analysis and reporting for laboratory monitoring and facilitation of operational research.
- Develop and/or update SOPs in coordination with the laboratory supervisor.
- Participate in the improvement of the service system according to the adopted work plan in the laboratory.
- Manage and meet client expectations by prioritizing interests and providing services with guiding principles of patients’ dignity, beneficence and non-maleficence in a courteous manner.
- Ensures compliance with IOM instruction INS 278 and undertakes all designated mandatory trainings.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University Degree from an accredited academic institution in Medical (Clinical) Laboratory Sciences, Microbiology, or a related discipline with Three (3) years of relevant experience or
- Diploma certificate from an accredited academic institution in Medical (Clinical) Laboratory Sciences, Microbiology, or a related discipline with Five years of relevant experience
- Registration/License to practice with the relevant authority in Nigeria.
- Three years for Bachelor’s degree holders and five years for diploma holders of relevant clinical laboratory experience in a busy institution, preferably in a laboratory;
- Relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations;
- Knowledge and experience in clinical laboratory techniques;
- Knowledge of laboratory quality management systems;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of laboratory biosafety;
- Computer literate with an understanding of accurate data collection and analysis for monitoring and continuous improvement of laboratory services and performances; and,
- Good awareness of the laboratory role in health systems, optional use of resources for quality and efficient services delivery.
- Effectively applies and transfers relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations
- Demonstrated creative problem-solving skills
- Organizational skills;
- Communication skills.
- Fluency in English (oral and written) required, working knowledge of the local language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership of achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
27th November, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover Letter (not more than one page specifying the motivation for application) addressed to: “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” via : HRNIGERIA@iom.int using “SVN2023.143. Abuja. Laboratory Technologist G5” as the subject of the mail.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee).
- IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.