The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Laboratory Technologist
SVN No.: SVN2023.142
Organizational Unit: Migration Health Division
IOM Classification: G6
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) and direct supervision of the Migration Health Officer (MHO) in Abuja AND Laboratory Manager in Lagos, the incumbent will be responsible for technical support to laboratory services with respect to Migration Health Assessments (HAP) and other programmes implemented by the IOM Migration Health Division in country Abuja, Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Organize laboratory services and oversee daily activities for efficient and optimal service delivery while adapting services to prevailing local conditions, levels of expertise and available technology.
- Implement a laboratory quality management system according to national and/or international guidelines, towards compliance with ISO 15189:2012 or similar standards, in collaboration with the regional laboratory coordinator.
- Ensure that facilities and biosafety measures in the laboratory meet international standards and country requirements; inform the Regional Laboratory Coordinator of any non-compliance and propose corrective actions.
- Ensure that IOM quality standards for laboratory services are applied and meet the needs for HAP and other programmes or other project requirements through the development and maintenance of a laboratory quality manual that includes Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) which are up to date and undergo annual review.
- Ensure that the equipment and consumables are sufficient for the anticipated workload. Plan and coordinate procurement, delivery, installation, maintenance, and operation of all laboratory equipment and optimal expenditure of consumables.
- Implement and maintain the system of organized record-keeping, using IOM LIMS and MedStock applications, and information management for timely delivery of results, data collection, analysis, and reporting for laboratory monitoring and facilitation of operational research.
- Maintain and promote high quality with regards to international standards in all aspects of service delivery via internal quality control and organizing participation in external quality assurance according to IOM standards.
- Monitor needs of staffing levels for planned workload. Participate in and facilitate recruiting, training, guiding, and supervising laboratory staff. Maintain records of staff development and training.
- Ensure that external laboratories performing testing on behalf of IOM meet IOM and national quality standards.
- Achieve and maintain national licensing and/or recognition according to the national requirements or agreement, in collaboration with the CMHO and CoM.
- Participate in annual HAP activities planning and budget preparation related to laboratory services.
- Liaise on laboratory-related topics with national laboratories and laboratories in other countries, IOM Departments, and national relevant entities.
- Establish, monitor, and ensure a system of laboratory customer services meeting the expectations of clients, medical personnel, and counterparts; prioritize clients’ interests and delivering of services with guiding principles of clients’ dignity, beneficence, and non-maleficence in a courteous manner by the laboratory.
- Ensures compliance with IOM instruction INS 278 and undertakes all designated mandatory trainings.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University Degree from an accredited academic institution in Medical (Clinical) Laboratory Sciences, Microbiology, or a related discipline with six (6) years of relevant experience or
- Master’s degree from an accredited academic institution in Medical (Clinical) Laboratory Sciences, Microbiology, or a related discipline with four years of relevant experience
- Registration/License to practice with the relevant authority in Nigeria.
- Six years for a Bachelor’s Degree holder with relevant clinical laboratory experience in a busy institution, preferably in a laboratory.
- Proven management and/or Supervisory, organizational and planning skills.
- Demonstrated experience in clinical laboratory techniques;
- Demonstrated ability to implement a laboratory quality management system;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices laboratory biosafety;
- Demonstrate effective managerial and leadership skills in the provision of quality laboratory services;
- experience working with government officials, particularly the Ministry of Health is highly desirable,
- Computer literate with a good understanding of data collection and analysis for monitoring and continuous improvement of laboratory services and performance.
- Awareness of the laboratory role in health systems, optimal use of resources for quality and efficient services delivery.
- Effectively applies and transfers relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations
- Demonstrated creative problem-solving skills
- Organizational skills;
- Communication skills.
- Fluency in English (oral and written) required, working knowledge of the local language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
26th November, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover Letter (not more than one page specifying the motivation for application) addressed to: “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” via : HRNIGERIA@iom.int using “SVN2023.142. Abuja. Senior Laboratory Technologist G6” as the subject of the mail.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee).
- IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.