FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. As we evolve to meet the challenges of the future, we stand committed to the principles that have guided our organization for the last 40+ years. Our work continues to be grounded in research and science, strengthened by partnerships and focused on building the capacity of individuals, communities and countries to succeed.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 12 years
- Location: Abuja
- Job Field: Medical / Healthcare , Project Management
Serves the role of the deputy for a large project, managing cross-functional teams and project activities from award through close-out. Plans and directs schedules and monitors budget/spending. Organizes interdepartmental activities ensuring completion of the project on schedule and within budget constraints. Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure efficient project implementation. Works closely with management to ensure financial, administrative, contractual, logistical efficiency and compliance. Serves as a liaison between staff and the organization’s administrative and enterprise services to maintain smooth operations between headquarters and field offices.
CRITERIA: Determination of job level is based on the reporting relationship to the Project Director/Chief of Party and on the primary and secondary criteria of the project (i.e., Revenue, Headcount, and number of Contracts/Sub- Awards and other factors).Supports a large project of significant scope, complexity, and revenue. Must be funded by the project and is not intended to be used in the Enterprise Service areas. A single position (this position is not meant to be broadly held by multiple employees within the same project/department).Oversees functional areas for the project such as: Human Resources, Compliance, Security, and Information Technology and typically has a minimum of 5+ direct reports.
- Provides support to the Project Director/Chief of Party to ensure the project is implemented in an efficient, compliant, timely and results-oriented manner.
- Manages, implements, and monitors systems, services, staff, and budgets to achieve financial, administrative and project goals.
- Provides timely and accurate financial and project reports to company management and donors as required.
- Prepares and monitors approved budgets for assigned projects.
- Approves all expenditures relating to budgets.
- Provides project assistance through review or writing of protocols, papers, reports to ensure accuracy and appropriateness.
- Collaborates with the Project Director to proactively identify opportunities for new project initiatives and funding to support them.
- Recruits, orients, and supervises project staff to support project and ensure the completion of programmatic and workforce planning needs are met and achieved.
- Collaborates with staff to ensure that project implementation is managed closely through the development of structured work plans, indicator tracking sheets and approved monitoring plans.
- Provides supervision to project staff to ensure the project remains on budget.
- Ensures expenditures within each project are monitored monthly, and that well- structured corrective action is initiated and tracked where required.
- Provides leadership to staff to ensure the development of timely, high quality and regulation compliant activity reporting per organization and donor guidelines.
- Provides supportive guidance and supervision to staff, and managers who are charged to implement projects within the assigned area of expertise.
- Collaborates with cross functional groups on matters concerning staff development that leverages international staff to mentor local staff, so as to maintain project accountability and scale in the short term and fast track capacity building for the long term.
- Supports performance management and professional development of direct reports, including ongoing feedback, coaching, and career support.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Effective strategic planning, project evaluation and project management skills.
- Strong business acumen, staff development, management, and reporting experience.
- Strong consultative and negotiation skills.
- Operations management, corporate policies, compliance, and procedures oversight experience.
- Demonstrated public relations and diplomacy skills required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to speak the country’s language.
- Ability to build positive local working relationships with local communities, district government officials, UN and where appropriate, donor representatives.
- Ability to analyze and establish effective and supportive cross- project coordination, organizational procedures, and management systems.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Decisions and actions have a significant impact on management and operations.
- Problems encountered are moderate to complex and highly varied.
- Demonstrates strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills to plan, organize, and manage resources for successful completion of projects.
- Exercises judgment to meet business strategies and develops objectives that align with organizational goals.
- Assists in setting goals and budgets for projects and leads the country in achieving strategic goals.
- Leads coordination for fundraising planning and implementing strategies to increase private donor giving.
- Leads coordination of resources for ongoing projects across functional areas and addresses/ resolves issues.
- Typically reports to a Project Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Business Administration, Public Health, Social Sciences or Related Field.
- Project Management (PM) Certification preferred.
- Typically requires a minimum of 12+ years of relevant experience in project management with projects management principles and practices.
- Proficient with applicable rules, regulations, and policies associated with international development and non-governmental organizations (NGOs).