Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI started its operations in North-East Nigeria in July 2014 to carry out a rapid evaluation of the most relevant constraints suffered by the Internally Displaced People (IDPs) displaced by the food crisis and the Boko Haram insurgency in the Lake Chad Basin.
COOPI’s aim is to support the most basic and pressing needs of communities affected by the conflict. COOPI is providing a multi-sectoral emergency response to the IDPs, returnees and host population focused on food security, nutrition, protection and education. COOPI main area of intervention is Yobe and Borno State and we are also present in Sokoto state in North West.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Public Health / Hygiene Promotion Officer
Location: Goronyo and Rabah, Sokoto
Employment Type: Full-time
- Public Health / Hygiene Promotion officer will ensure the quality Implementation of the Public Health Promotion and Non-Food Items distribution in the IDP Camps and communities under the BHA Project in Sokoto. He/she is overall responsible for implementing approved technical approaches to hygiene promotion, maintaining program quality, and that all hygiene objectives are met on time and within the budget.
Essential Job Functions
- Project Implementation and Supervision: Ensure that the hygiene promotion activities are implemented in a timely and professional manner (as per SPHERE and COOPI standards) and in line with beneficiary needs putting in mind the BHA project objectives and ensuring that all hygiene promotion activities are in line with project strategy and design.
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager and indirectly the Program Coordinator and in collaboration with WASH officer, WaSH/Public Health Promotion Assistants, and other collaborators of the projects and of the Base, he/she will:
- Be responsible for the daily implementation of Public Health Promotion activities and progress at assigned work sites;
- Develop action plans for project implementation – including all technical specifications for project implementation. In collaboration with the Program Manager;
- In coordination with the Program Manager, revise and adapt hygiene promotion training material to the local context and in line with the target groups to be trained.
- Working closely with the Program Manager throughout the planning, design, and implementation stages of WASH Public Health Promotion activities.
- Represent the organization at local-level WASH meetings and technical working groups relating to Public Health Promotion and NFI distribution as required by your line manager.
- Ensure that the Public Health Promotion team members are fully aware of the hygiene promotion strategy and that all activities are in line with strategy activities.
- Prepare training tools on relevant technical topics and conduct training for both internal staff and external stakeholders.
- Plan beneficiary selection and registration, and lead the distribution of NFI kits with the field assistant team
- Develop and maintain good lines of communication and relationships with local authorities and the local community
- Ensure a high degree of awareness regarding the security situation in the project area. Based upon this knowledge take adequate measures to ensure the safety of any and all org staff and equipment in the project location.
- Follow all organization protocols and regulations according to guidance provided by the direct supervisor.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to the organization and not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Provide regular reports, document results, and maintain detailed records
- Maintain close links and collaboration with other WASH teams and sectors including Health, Nutrition, Protection, and MPCA teams throughout the project and support where needed.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable work teams to successfully complete their tasks on time and within budget.
- Provide periodic reports of field site works and challenges to the team lead.
- Ensure that all construction/infrastructure data within the staff’s portfolio of sites is well managed and provides an accurate representation of the reality on the ground.
- Submit regular reports related to the work progress to the WASH officer.
Security management responsibilities:
- Responsible for the day-to-day security management as it relates to program implementation.
- Abide by the security procedures and policies of the organization and report any breaches.
- Perform other relevant tasks as assigned.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree / HND in Public Health, Sociology, Environmental Sciences, Biology, Hygiene, and Sanitation-related field with rich field experience.
- Minimum of two years experience in WASH in an emergency, hygiene promotion/NFIs distribution especially in IDP camps.
- Experience in the establishment and training of Hygiene Promoters, and WASH committees in IDP camps.
- Good communication skills, effective representation, and liaison with community members and leaders, community engagement, and mobilization.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software applications (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook Access).
- Good English language skills (verbal and written)
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where the network may be limited.
- Fluency in Hausa and English.
Application Closing Date
2nd July, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should: