MSH, a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 10 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field Medical / Healthcare , Project Management
The Technical Director for Health Systems Strengthening (TD HSS) will provide technical oversight and direction of activities to enhance local ownership and leadership and improve health systems at the federal, state, facility, and community levels. The TD HSS will support the program to deliver high-quality integrated health interventions and ensure that project activities align with relevant international standards and national/state policies, strategies, and plans. The TD HSS will coordinate among USAID, donors, contractors, and implementers, and Government of Nigeria institutions and representatives, particularly at the Federal and State Governments, Local Government Areas, Ward Development Council, local NGOs, FBOs, and civil society and community level to implement integrated health service delivery activities.
The TD HSS reports to the Chief of Party (COP), participates in the project leadership team, collaborates with the Technical Director for Health Service Delivery, and provides direct supervision to other technical staff.
- In collaboration with the COP, ensure that the program is delivered according to donor and government requirements.
- Provide overall technical direction and guidance for the team in designing and delivering high-impact HSS innovations for improved comprehensive and integrated health building toward solid health systems at all levels.
- Lead the design and implementation of the project’s HSS interventions focused on the Federal and State Governments, Local Government Authorities, Ward Development Council, and local NGOs, faith-based organizations, and civil society.
- Develop and regularly update detailed annual work plans and ensure the team monitors progress towards completion and achievement of program objectives.
- Serve as key liaison and work collaboratively with USAID, other contractors and implementers, and numerous GON institutions and representatives, particularly at the federal and state level for HSS activities.
- Coordinate the HSS expertise of MSH and its sub-contractors, which will include international, national, and local organizations, so that the project’s HSS interventions are designed and implemented as a single package that includes the best expertise of MSH and each of its sub-contractors.
- Liaise with HSS counterparts in government and international development agencies and NGOs to coordinate and leverage the project’s HSS interventions.
- Support local partners to strengthen leadership and management capacities of national and sub-national government health systems and strengthening capacities of NGO administrative and financial systems, and oversight of grants programs.
- Master’s degree in public health, social sciences or related field with at least 10+ years of senior-level HSS experience in health projects of equivalent size and complexity in Nigeria or West Africa,
- USAID experience required,
- HSS experience required; must include both government institutions and civil society organizations and
- HSS experience required; must include at least four of the following HSS topics:
- human resource management,
- supply chain management,
- leadership and governance,
- program and financial planning and reporting,
- inter-institutional coordination and
- health information systems.
- Proven exceptional leadership in design, management, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation, with skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting
- Strong communication skills to fulfill the program’s diverse technical and managerial requirements and effectively coordinate with various stakeholders.
- Experience developing project vision, aligning key stakeholders around that vision, and assuring that the vision is translated into implementable strategies
- Demonstrated ability to lead HSS staff and consultants within a consortium of international and local sub-contractors to achieve measurable results within an integrated health program.
- Proven experience in engaging HSS representatives of the host country government, civil society organizations, international development organizations, and NGOs to support project implementation and/or to provide complementary resources to the project.
- Deep knowledge of USAID’s localization strategy and demonstrated experience in strengthening leadership and management capacities of national and sub-national government health systems and strengthening capacities of NGO administrative and financial systems, and oversight of grants programs.
- High levels of diplomacy, conflict management, team building, written and oral communication, and negotiation skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English, and demonstrated capacity to effectively communicate and document, including the writing of quality reports and detailed analysis of strategic information. Fluency in a local language is a distinct advantage.