The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a global humanitarian aid, relief and development nongovernmental organization. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers emergency aid and long-term assistance to refugees and those displaced by war, persecution or natural disaster. The IRC is currently working in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities where it resettles refugees and helps them become self-sufficient. Composed of first responders, humanitarian relief workers, international development experts, health care providers, and educators, the IRC has assisted millions of people around the world since its founding in 1933.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Location: Yobe
- Job Field: Media / Advertising / Branding
- The Senior Editorial Officer will be responsible for development, management, and dissemination of quality, verified, relevant information on Signpost. The position is integral within the Signpost team and will work closely with moderators in publishing content through digital and other diverse channels based on need and responding to clients’ information needs.
- The Senior editorial officer would work with the SignPosts manager to usher content from the first draft through editing and translation and ultimately to its final, published form.
- Additionally, S/he will write or co-write reports on SignPost content.
- The Senior Editorial Officer may also pitch and create content for SignPost.
- The Senior Editorial Officer will be line-managed by the SignPost manager and work closely with the entire SignPost editorial team as well as the Senior Advocacy manager.
- Edit written and multimedia content created by SignPost staff, including the Community Engagement, Protection and Service mapping officer, and Moderators.
- Use MS Word, MS Office Publisher, PowerPoint, Adobe IN-design, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Contentful CMS, Transifex translation-management software, and other tools to prepare content for publication.
- Publish relevant and appropriate content on Signpost
- Ensure Signpost content is accurate, complete, easy to understand, and engaging.
- Collaborate on, and edit written and multimedia content built by the Signpost team (Signpost Manager, Moderators, Service mapping officer)
- Monitor traffic and other feedback emanating from Signpost
- Use the Contentful CMS, Transifex translation-management software, and other tools to prepare content for publication.
- Coordinate, update, and handle the Signpost style guide.
- Ensure the Signpost photo database and calendar are up to date.
- Support moderators with publishing posts of relevant information for clients.
- Contribute to drafting reports on Signpost content.
- Work with the Information Technology team to resolve technical issues across platforms.
- Support the editorial team in maintaining a good working knowledge of available services from IRC and partners, and an ability to make appropriate referrals to those services during SignPost activities.
- Develop and maintain a good knowledge of the protection situation locally and the priority needs of the IDP population and host community.
- Support other protection programs as needed, including Child Protection and Women’s Protection and Empowerment.
- Collaborate with the editorial team (Community Engagement, Protection, and Service mapping officer, and Moderators); translators; and Senior Advocacy Manager to manage content across all SignPost platforms.
- Work closely with individual Community Engagement, Protection and Service mapping officer, to edit content they have drafted.
- Coordinate with ICT focal point and MEAL Officer to ensure the smooth operation of the SignPost tools.
- Work with the editorial team to ensure content is aligned with the content strategy and appropriate for publication.
- Use online tools and other modes of communication to consistently share information with other members of the editorial team.
- Participate in all team meetings, workshops, strategy sessions, regular communications, etc., as established by the SignPost Manager.
- Reports Directly To: SignPost manager
- Directly Supervises: The Community Engagement, Protection and Service mapping officer.
- Works Directly With: SignPost editorial team (Community Engagement, Protection, and Service mapping officer, and Moderators); translators; and Senior Advocacy Manager
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, Journalism, Media, Public information, or another relevant field
- Approximately four to five years of meaningful experience in editing, sub-editing, copy editing
- Experience working with a humanitarian organization.
- Expert-level knowledge of English grammar and usage.
- Knowledge of MS Word, MS Office Publisher, PowerPoint, Adobe IN-design, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Contentful CMS, Transifex translation-management software is strongly desired.
- Experience using a CMS.
- Knowledge of online content best practices.
- Knowledge of social media strategy and content best practices.
- Experience in a humanitarian organization a plus.
- Knowledge of IDP issues in Northeast desired.
Skills and Interests
- Very strong content editing skills required.
- Native-level oral and written English skills required.
- Ability to edit content drafted by non-native speakers into North American English.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- Ability to work independently with remote management.
- Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence.
- Ability to handle pressure and ambiguity with grace and humor.
- Proven organizational skills.
- Healthy respect for deadlines.
- Strong interest in IDP/ refugee/humanitarian issues.
- Photo and video skills a plus.
- Experience in content editing
- Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Passion for writing
- Strong interpersonal and time-management skills; shown ability to prioritize and deliver on time
- Great attention to detail
- Strong analytic problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a multifaceted, cross-functional team
- Native or near-native Hausa, Kanuri, Barbur, Margi, Waha, Shuwa Arab, Fulani/Fulfulde languages a plus.
- Provide technical guidance, on the job mentoring and coaching for the moderators and Community Engagement, Protection and service mapping officer.
- Ensure ongoing training and targeted capacity building of signpost staff.
- Review performance of moderators in the field and provide encouraging approaches to address issues identified.