The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a global humanitarian aid, relief and development nongovernmental organization. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers emergency aid and long-term assistance to refugees and those displaced by war, persecution or natural disaster. The IRC is currently working in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities where it resettles refugees and helps them become self-sufficient. Composed of first responders, humanitarian relief workers, international development experts, health care providers, and educators, the IRC has assisted millions of people around the world since its founding in 1933.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 5 years
- Location: Yobe
- Job Field: Media / Advertising / Branding , NGO/Non-Profit
- The SignPost Manager’s main responsibilities are helping develop and implement a content strategy and assigning, line and copy editing, and approving content for SignPost’s online and offline information-sharing platforms. S/he is tasked with ensuring content is accurate, complete, easy to understand, and engaging.
- The Senior editorial officer will have a reporting line to the SignPost Manager. S/he will coach the senior editorial officer to produce content that meets high editorial standards.
- The SignPost Manager is also responsible for using our content management system and other tools to work with the Senior editorial officer to usher content from the first draft through editing and translation and ultimately to its final, published form.
- Additionally, the SignPost Manager will ensure our photo database, style guide, and editorial calendar are up to date. S/he will also use other project management tools to keep the project organized and on track. S/he will write or co-write reports on SignPost content.
- The SignPost Manager may also pitch and create content for SignPost.
- The SignPost Manager will be line-managed by the Protection and Rule of Law Coordinator and work closely with the entire SignPost editorial team as well as the Senior Advocacy manager.
- Ensure SignPost content is accurate, complete, easy to understand, and engaging.
- Edit written and multimedia content created by SignPost staff, including the Senior Editorial officer, Community Engagement, Protection and Service mapping officer, and Moderators.
- Use MS Word, MS Office Publisher, PowerPoint, Adobe IN-design, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Contentful CMS, Transifex translation-management software, and other tools to prepare content for publication.
- Create and execute work plans, spending plans, procurement plans and related systems to ensure that project deadlines are met, and targets achieved.
- Convene and facilitate the monthly/semi-monthly staff meetings and community forums.
- Support the Protection Officers in maintaining a good working knowledge of available services from IRC and partners, and an ability to make appropriate referrals to those services during SignPost activities.
- Develop and maintain a good knowledge of the protection situation locally and the priority needs of the IDP population and host community.
- Participate in the development of proposals, budgets, and concept notes in coordination with the Protection and Rule Law Coordinator, DDP, Grants team, and HQ Technical Unit.
- Contribute to the development of the Country Sector Strategy for the Nigeria Protection Program.
- Support other protection programs as needed, including Child Protection and Women’s Protection and Empowerment.
- Publish content.
- Organize, update, and manage the SignPost style guide.
- Ensure the SignPost photo database is up to date.
- Ensure the SignPost editorial calendar is up to date.
- Work with ICT team to resolve technical issues across platforms.
- Help monitor traffic and other feedback.
- Draft reports on SignPost content as assigned.
- Represent SignPost at conferences, workshops, and other events.
- Collaborate with the editorial team (Senior Editorial officer, Community Engagement, Protection, and Service mapping officer, and Moderators); translators; and Senior Advocacy Manager to manage content across all SignPost platforms.
- Work closely with individual Senior Editorial officer, Community Engagement, Protection and Service mapping officer, to edit content they have drafted.
- Coordinate with ICT focal point and MEAL Officer to ensure smooth operation of the SignPost tools.
- Work with editorial team to ensure content is aligned with the content strategy and appropriate for publication.
- Use online tools and other modes of communication to consistently share information with other members of the editorial team.
- Participate in all team meetings, workshops, strategy sessions, regular communications, etc., as established by the Senior Editor.
- Reports Directly To: Protection and Rule of Law Coordinator
- Works Directly With: SignPost editorial team (Senior Editorial officer, Community Engagement, Protection, and Service mapping officer, and Moderators); translators; and Senior Advocacy Manager
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/BS in English, Journalism, Social sciences, Communications or a field in the humanities desired but not required.
- Minimum 5 years of editing experience required; sub-editing/copy editing experience strongly desired.
- Expert-level knowledge of English grammar and usage.
- Knowledge of MS Word, MS Office Publisher, PowerPoint, Adobe IN-design, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Contentful CMS, Transifex translation-management software is strongly desired.
- Experience using a CMS.
- Knowledge of online content best practices.
- Knowledge of social media strategy and content best practices.
- Experience in a newsroom a plus.
- Experience in a humanitarian organization a plus.
- Knowledge of IDP issues in Northeast desired.
Native-level oral and written English skills required.
- Ability to edit content drafted by non-native speakers into North American English.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- Ability to work independently with remote management.
- Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence.
- Ability to handle pressure and ambiguity with grace and humor.
- Proven organizational skills.
- Healthy respect for deadlines.
- Strong interest in IDP/ refugee/humanitarian issues.
- Good news judgment.
- Photo and video skills a plus.
- Native or near-native Hausa, Kanuri, Barbur, Margi, Waha, Shuwa Arab, Fulani/Fulfulde languages a plus.