International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Finance Assistant
SVN No.: SVN2023.74
IOM Classification: G6
Organizational Unit: Resource Management
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Working under the overall supervision of the Resource Management Officer and under the direct supervision of the Team Lead/Senior Finance Assistant, the candidate will carry out the following responsibilities:
- Verifies the Payment Requests with the supporting documents before submission to RMO/ SRMO for final review /endorsement. Verifies invoices and ascertains that the equipment, supplies or services they refer to were duly received before proceeding with the Payment Request.
- Verify and enter Costumer Invoice for sale of assets or other property and request for reimbursement and ensure proper documentation is completed timely.
- Assist in the preparation of financial monitoring reports for the assigned projects, analysing and ensuring that the allocated funds are efficiently disbursed, and with regards to the staff and office cost, ensure the only the eligible costs have been charged.
- Assist the RMO and SRMO in preparation of annual budget submission and revisions including estimating the cost of staff as well as rental and utilities, office equipment and supplies, printing, and other contracts, services or running expenses, to Include in the budget.
- Assist in monthly Office Cost Projectization analysis file at the beginning of each month. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Ensure vendor accounts are monitored and cleared in a timely manner. Assist in clearing and maintaining the control accounts in the SAP system periodically.
- Ensure the accurate performance of bank reconciliation to the respective bank GL’s on a timely manner.
- Undertake quality control checks on the monthly accounts, assist the month end accounts closure and ensure the deadlines are adhered to rules and procedures.
- Assist Project Managers on any arising issues concerning the financial monitoring reports and the RMO and Project Managers to produce both interim and final financial reports for the active projects and assist in carrying out financial analysis.
- Assist in liaison with the RMO, project external auditors and IOM internal auditors in conducting such audits and handle the audit queries raised by donors for the completed projects.
- In consultation with RMO, assist in preparation of response to the queries outside the mission (internal and external) within reasonable timeframe.
- Clear Periodic checklist queries/ project review queries forwarded by RAS in coordination with the RMO/SRMO and respond to RAS, MRF, HQ and other missions.
- Analyze and report on expenditure and variations within projects. Bring to the attention of the RMO any relevant financial and budgetary issues on an ongoing basis.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, or annual financial reports, including financial reports for the Mission and donors, adhering to established reporting deadlines set by project agreements.
- Assist in liaising with the IOM bank in Nigeria as well as IOM treasury unit in Geneva to ensure there is sufficient funds in the missions’ bank accounts to meet the mission’s financial commitments.
- Maintain and ensure the appropriate internal controls are observed to safeguard the Organizational assets and prevent fraud and make suggestions for improvements.
- Assists in the preparation of documentation for project outside PRIMA including preparation BNP.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Educational Qualification and Experience
- Three years of working experience with Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or any other related field.
- Professional Certification such as ACA, CFA, ACCA will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of accounting systems (SAP advantage), generally accepted accounting principles and audit/review procedures.
- Ability to analyse and interpret source information and data; capable of designing, reviewing, and revising business processes to achieve efficiency.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for results, creative thinking, organized, accurate.
- Ability to work effectively with different levels within and outside the organization and with colleagues from varied cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality is mandatory.
- Good knowledge of information technology and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications especially Excel, Word, Outlook,) is a distinct advantage.
- Previous work experience in international organizations or UN Agency would be an advantage.
- Fluency in English (oral and written) is required, working knowledge of the local language.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality; Proactive; Independent Worker; A great team player; Fast Learner;
- IT Literate; Interpersonal Skills; Administrative & Time Management Skills; SAP knowledge is desirable.
- Ability to present clear and concise information;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected, and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – Behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – Behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Application Closing Date
2nd July, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” and with a subject line “SVN2023.74 Senior Finance Assistant G6 Lagos”.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.