Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Purchasing Officer
Employment Type: Contract
Project: Gummi Emergency Nutrition Response Project
Job Type: Definite contract (6 months with the possibility of extension)
Main Objective and Responsibilities of the position
- Performing the day to day purchasing activities in a particular supply office (coordination or project level) according to MSF protocols and standards in order to ensure an optimal running of the mission/ project
- Performing on a day to day basis the purchasing activities of a supply office, analyzing market sources and com-petitive pricing conditions among different suppliers in order to ensure an ongoing supply of goods, following the procurement procedures and according to MSF standards and protocols. Including the following activities:
- Constantly assessing the local market, seeking products and suppliers that offer the best value for money and ne-gotiating prices in order to guarantee the best quality and pricing for MSF goods and commodities. Regularly upda-ting the supplier-item-price data on the supply office and informing the Supply (Activity) Officer / Logistics Su-pervisor of all information or modifications to the data i.e. price, address, items available
- At the request of the line manager, obtaining different quotations from suppliers according to the MSF Purchasing policy and placing purchase orders to pre-selected suppliers with whom prices have been agreed
- Requesting invoices or receipts, without delay, for all purchases, checking they are correctly filled and translating in-formation written in local language before approval
- Managing the administrative and accounting procedures related to purchases: completing purchase orders, check-ing delivery notes (against orders), managing advances issued by the Finance Department, etc. Updating informa-tion on purchase lists after purchases are made
- Assisting in reception control process with the storekeeper
- Performing delegated tasks according to his / her activity and as specified in his/her job description
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Carries out the purchases of a supply office on the basis of purchase documents issued by the line manager and manages the administrative and accounting procedures related to purchasing.
- Constantly assess the local market, seeks products and suppliers that offer the best value for money, negotiates prices.
- At the request of the line manager, obtains different quotations from suppliers according to the MSF Purchasing policy
- Place purchase orders to pre-selected suppliers with whom prices have been agreed.
- Request invoices or receipts, without delay, for all purchases, check they are correctly filled and translate informa-tion written in local language before aproval.
- Regularly updates the supplier-item-price data on the supply office
- Manage the administrative and accounting procedures related to purchases: complete purchase orders, check de-livery notes (against orders), etc.
- Manages the advances issued by the Finance Department.
- Assists in reception control process with the storekeeper and storekeeper assistant.
- Update information on purchase lists after purchases are made.
- Informs the Logistics Manager of all information or modifications to the “item-supplier” data: price, address, items available.
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Educational Qualification: Essential, Secondary Education; commerce related studies desirable
- Experience: At least 2 years’ experience in supply chain related jobs
- Languages: Mission language essential, Hausa language desirable
- Knowledge: Computer literacy
- Competencies: Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation, Behavioural, Flexibility, Commitment to MSF Principles, Service Orientation, Stress Management.
Application Closing Date
4th July, 2023; 5:00PM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only applications submitted ONLINE will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will notbe considered.
- NO Transportation and NO per diems will be provided during the recruitment procedure
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. No face-to-face contact or phone contact will be considered.
- Any documents sent to MSF-Holland (CV, cover letter, copies of diploma, recommendations letters) will not be returned by MSF-Holland.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization