Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Officer – Agriculture
Job Identification: 3000748
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Category: Program Management
- You will support the implementation of the agriculture activities at the field level in Jere LGA. You will directly work with project participants, agriculture extension workers, village agents and local stakeholders in ensuring implementation of robust agriculture activities as per THRIVE proposal.
- You will work collaboratively as a team member with the other CRS staffs under the leadership of the Agriculture and Livelihood PM to sequence, and layer all sector interventions to achieve optimal integration and impact for the poor and vulnerable.
- You will support the planning, coordination, implementation, monitoring, program quality and reporting for agriculture and livelihood activities.
- Your management skills and knowledge will ensure that THRIVE implements high-quality, cost effective and locally appropriate agriculture activities in the target communities of Jere LGA as per proposal and contribute to program improvements and adaptations.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Develop agriculture implementation plans and lead in the implementation of agricultural activities in the intervention communities in Jere LGA.
- Work with the agriculture extension workers in building the technical capacity of project participants on crop production, through field level demonstration-based trainings.
- Support organization of participants into learning groups for ease of agricultural information sharing and dissemination.
- Coordinate and implement participants seed and tools needs identification to guide provision of the farming inputs to the participants.
- Work closely with housing lands and property department in ensuring project participants have recognized access to safe farmland.
- Ensure project participants have recognized working arrangements regarding safe utilization of water resource for farming in systems where farming is not dependent on rainfall water.
- Support implementation of agriculture activities as envisioned in the proposal, including working closely
- Ensure robust timely reporting and field level documentation of all agriculture activities.
- Work closely with all other project sector staffs, THRIVE implementing partners and area-based committees in the implementation and monitoring of the agriculture activities.
- Assist the agriculture and livelihood PM in context analysis, optimistic gap identification and proposing of feasible intervention solutions to identified programming gaps.
- Assist the agriculture and livelihood PM in implementation of MEAL systems, including but not limited to identification of project participants, monitoring and evaluation of the sector activities.
- Act as a link between the project staff and the targeted communities in Project Operational areas.
- Assist in farmers training and monitor the practical application of the knowledge, skills and techniques acquired and adapted by farmers
- Report on farmer’s performance and improvement in crops and vegetable husbandry.
- Report weekly and monthly on project progress to the agriculture and livelihoods PM
- Actualize any duties assigned for the overall success of the THRIVE project
- Required Languages – English and Hausa are essential. Knowledge of one or more of the languages spoken in Jere, such as Kanuri or Shuwa Arabic is an advantage
- Travel – The post is based in Maiduguri, with field level work in Jere LGA. Includes 80% travel to field locations in the Jere area of Maiduguri.
Supervisory Responsibilities (if none, state none)
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Agriculture and Livelihoods PM, Project Officer Livestock, Food assistance PM, other THRIVE program sector leads, Head of Office, Heads of Administration, Supply Chain, and Finance, Security Coordinator, Admin and Operations staff in Maiduguri and Abuja.
- External: Project participants, agriculture extension workers, THRIVE implementing partners (Mercy Corps, JDPC)
- Degree in General Agriculture or related field. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- At least 3 – 5 years of relevant experience in the implementation of similar projects with IDPS, host communities and returnees.
- Experience working in a similar field in NE Nigeria
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated skills in working with subsistence crop farmers
- Basic Agriculture Extension skills
- Ability to work closely with government agriculture extension workers and the Ministry of Agriculture.
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize and organize community groups for project implementation
- Willingness to travel frequently and work in an insecure and physically and mentally challenging environment
- Good physical health and fitness.
- Project management experience in agriculture and livelihood is essential.
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with the ability to make sound judgments.
- Demonstrable capacities in team working and cross-sectoral planning and implementation.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups
- Experience in managing relationships and performance with partner organizations and representing programs to local stakeholders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to write reports and make presentations.
- Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, and information management systems.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation of emergency agriculture, vegetable farming and cereal crops under both rainfed and irrigated systems is desirable.
- Program management experience in North-East Nigeria is desirable
- Experience in working with IDPs in agriculture projects.
- Experience of using market-based mechanisms and CVA modalities, including the RedRose platform, for the provision of agriculture inputs to project participants.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Application Closing Date
2nd July, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should: