Since 1979, we have helped people grappling with the toughest hardships survive – and then thrive. That’s the heart of our approach: We help communities turn crisis into opportunity. Throughout our history, Mercy Corps has demonstrated innovation, timeliness and the ability to adapt quickly to changing realities.
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 1 – 2 years
- Location Borno
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit , Project Management
General Position Summary
The Nutrition and food assistance Officer is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day implementation of food and nutrition activities in Damboa and Dikwa under BEGE Program. S/he will work closely with other sectors such as MEL, CASH, and Livelihood ensuring smooth project implementation and delivery of program objectives. Activities will include Promotion / supporting adoption of recommended maternal and Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) practices, distribution of Food Vouchers to target participants, food redemption monitoring, regular vendors review meeting, monitoring and supervision of community-level nutrition screening including the rollout of Mother Led MUAC approach and as well participation in planned nutrition surveys and assessments.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Implement all Food and nutrition assistance activities within the work plan and offer technical guidance to the team.
- Support the implementation of Food and nutrition assistance activities and ensure smooth coordination across sectors.
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to vulnerability criteria.
- Conduct monthly food redemption across communities within the LGA.
- Collaborate with other team members for effective integration between other services like Nutrition and health services.
- Collaborate with local authorities and other partners to harmonize different efforts for better impact and sustainability.
- Able to learn and update his/ her information or knowledge to adapt to the changing situation and context.
- Provide technical inputs on the execution of the implementation of Food assistance activities in a timely manner.
- Coordinate with other sectors (Cash, Livelihoods, Shelter, MEL, WASH) and support units to ensure activities are conducted within MC policy and with the maximum benefit to the program.
- Provide inputs to the design and implementation of training in any areas related to the program activities for staff, communities, and program beneficiaries.
- Supervise community mobilization and sensitization activities aimed at promoting appropriate Maternal, Infant and Young Child Feeding Practices and Fresh Food Vouchers to improve Household dietary Diversification.
- Regularly monitor and supervise redemption exercise as well as beneficiary targeting.
- Ensures beneficiary complaints mechanisms and Accountability to the Affected Population are addressed in the appropriate way that does not discredit the image of Mercy Corps.
- Spearhead the rollout of the Mother Led MUAC approach i.e., coordinate with community structures and any other key stakeholders, organize necessary materials/ tools required for the training, and lead the training sessions.
- Participate in nutrition assessments and surveys planned in the catchment area.
- Actively participate in area-level nutrition, food security and Health sector meetings.
- Ensure timely submission of quality weekly and monthly nutrition activity reports.
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from Food assistance implementation and incorporated in Food assistance implementation and staff development processes.
- Regularly monitor and ensure that the nutrition team in the field has the necessary tools (i.e., data collection tools, job aids, IEC materials etc.) and supplies required for quality implementation of planned nutrition activities.
- Maintain filing of all Mercy Corps beneficiaries, and ensure all lists are well captured electronically and manually.
- Facilitate and co-facilitate community meetings, events and training as required.
- Build and maintain good external relationships and coordination with relevant food assistance actors within and out of Maiduguri.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Any Other duties as assigned.
- Identify technical gaps among staff line managed and in liaison with the line manager provide on-the-job training and/ support supervision.
- Participate in developing detailed project implementation plan and orient the line managed on agreed actions.
Finance & Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
Influence & Representation
- Creates and maintain relationships with local health and other authorities to link services with the existing health structure smoothly.
- Always upholds the image and values of Mercy Corps at all times.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Transaction monitors.
- Community Nutrition Mobilizers.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/Sc. in Nutrition, Agriculture or any related discipline.
- 2 years of experience working on the development, implementation, administration and compliance of a field-based international development or humanitarian program; general gender and protection mainstreaming experience & knowledge required.
- At least 2 years of experience implementing Food Assistance and Nutrition programs in the Northeast of Nigeria.
- At least 1 year of experience implementing Supplementary Nutrition Assistance/fresh food and vegetables.
- Experience using voucher modality and knowledge of Nagis platform.
- Experience working with local partners, especially market vendors is required.
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing.
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills.
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills.
- Fluency in English and Hausa is required.