Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time, Regular
Reports Directly To: Procurement Officer
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long-term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
- Operations Department provides key support to the entire country program in procurement, asset management, warehouse management, fleet management and facilities & office management for successful program implementation.
General Position Summary
- The Procurement Assistant is responsible for facilitating the procurement aspects of Mercy Corps operation. Working closely with Program, Administration, Finance and Logistics, the Procurement Assistant is instrumental in supporting program activities through their services.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Daily administrative support of MC procurement activities.
- Assist in the maintenance of thorough procurement files in line with the FP3.
- Regularly produce purchase status and complete purchase reports using the ongoing PR Master List.
- Maintain a file on market prices for commonly bought items.
- Scan a soft copy of all documentation before it is handed over to the program and finance for payment.
- Learn Purchase Request (PR) review and numbering.
- Assist the procurement officer during tender opening sessions.
- Follow up with suppliers, vendors and third parties to ensure delivery of goods/services.
- Follow up with suppliers for prompt submission of invoices after goods/service delivery.
- Assists staff as needed in creating clear and understandable purchase requests and other documentation.
- Interact with contractors/suppliers in coordination with the Program & Logistics team members.
- Prepare the required documentation of supplies and transactions in line with Mercy Corps standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Reports Directly To:Procurement Officer
Accountability to Participation and Stakeholders:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work.
- We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
- Candidates should possess a relevant Bachelor’s Degree or Higher National Diploma.
- Minimum 1-year experience in procurement or related field.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Good oral and written English skills.
- Good computer skills in MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information intoaction to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- The successful Procurement Assistant will support procurement activities in delivering successful programs while demonstrating excellent stewardship of donor funds and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor regulations.
- He/She will maintain strong cooperative relationships with other departments and interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial and training capacity while demonstrating the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a solid commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position is based in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
- We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC and have signed on to the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme.
- We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Application Closing Date
30th June, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Applicants should have their CVs and Cover Letters in one document addressing the position requirements.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.