International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for thebenefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operations Facilitator (WaSH)
SVN No.: CFCV2023.92
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organizational Unit: Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WaSH)
IOM Classification: N/A
Type of Appointment: CTG Contract (6 months with the possibility of extension)
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations. As the leading UN agency in the field of migration, it works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
- Nigeria has witnessed an increase in violence since the beginning of 2015, causing a major humanitarian crisis. IOM and the Humanitarian community have expanded their scope of intervention beyond Maiduguri itself, to the entire North East and North West, into priority satellite sites where IOM staff are delivering humanitarian and development support to displaced populations and host communities.
- Working under the overall supervision of the WASH Program Manager and the direct supervision of the WASH Project Assistant the incumbent will be responsible for carrying out WASH project functions in accordance with IOM’s regulations, rules and procedures. In particular, s/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Throughout supervision of the works, ensure that the contractors scope of work and IOM direct implementation portion are set to achieve comprehensively the goals of the WASH project of the construction, rehabilitation, upgrading, operation, and maintenance of WASH facilities, including boreholes, latrines, showers and hand washing stations in project sites located in Borno State.
- Participate in the assessments and site selection for the construction and installation of WASH facilities.
- Support preparing the requests for the materials and verifying the technical specifications and quality delivered by suppliers and contractors.
- Assist in the preparation of technical site layout and bill of quantities for all planned WASH works.
- Conduct a topographical survey and setting out of drainage lines.
- Ensure site works are in line with site project plans and sphere standards.
- Assess the needs and resources of IDPs in terms of basic WASH needs with participation.
- Propose and assist in defining appropriate solutions and ensuring WASH projects meet needs.
- Effectively work together with other WASH Sector partners in executing WASH emergency response activities at the field level.
- Ensure WASH projects under development meet acceptable humanitarian standards, safeguarding as much possible health, security and protection of the camp
- Notify changes during project implementation ahead of time.
- Synergize and act as a link between IOM’s WASH, Shelter, DTM, PSS, and the affected population at the camp/community level.
- Submit daily, weekly, and monthly reports on time using standard format.
- Any other task not listed above when requested by the supervisors
- Mission-specific tasks (Please write here the tasks which are not part of the generic responsibilities and accountabilities referred above and which need to be incorporated into the VN/SVN).
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed University Degree or Diploma in civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Public Health or similar fields.
- Minimum of two years for a University Degree or four years for a Diploma
- Experience in the humanitarian field is mandatory
- Demonstrated ability to maintain integrity in performing responsibilities assigned
- Proactive; independent worker; A great team player; Fast Learner; IT Literate: Interpersonal skills; Communication and negotiation skills; Administrative & Time Management skills; Proficiency in Microsoft applications; Must have strong analytical, planning, and people management skills; Ability to prepare a clear and concise report.
- For all applicants, fluency in English (oral and written) and any other northern Nigeria Language (oral) is required.
- Previous experience in humanitarian work
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respect and promote individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintain high ethical standards and act in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, and makes people feel safe, respected, and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators – Level 1:
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- An appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
10th September, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover Letter (not more than one page specifying the motivation for application) addressed to: “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” via: HRNIGERIA@iom.int using “CFCV2023.92 Maiduguri Operations Facilitator WASH” as the subject of the mail.
Important Information and Notice
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter of not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM), and with a subject line CFCV2023.92 Maiduguri Operations Facilitator WASH.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.