International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for thebenefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Community Engagement and Hygiene Promotion Facilitator
SVN No.: CFCV2023.93
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organizational Unit: Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WaSH)
IOM Classification: N/A
Type of Appointment: CTG Contract (6 months with the possibility of extension)
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations. As the leading UN agency in the field of migration, it works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
- Nigeria has witnessed an increase in violence since the beginning of 2015, causing a major humanitarian crisis. IOM and the Humanitarian community have expanded their scope of intervention beyond Maiduguri itself, to the entire North East and North West, into priority satellite sites where IOM staff are delivering humanitarian and development support to displaced populations and host communities.
- Working under the overall supervision of the WASH Program Manager and the direct supervision of the WASH Project Assistant the incumbent will be responsible for carrying out WASH project functions in accordance with IOM’s regulations, rules and procedures. In particular, s/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Facilitate community engagement throughout the WASH project implementation period at the field level. Engage different community members – including women, girls, boys, and men before, during, and after WASH activities undertaken.
- Manage, supervise, and coordinate community volunteers – e.g. WASHCOMs and WASH maintenance teams in IOM WASH Unit operating camps or camp-like settings or host communities.
- Responsible for coordinating hygiene promotion activities and collecting and analysing data coming from community volunteers. Serves as links between these committees, LGA counterparts (like NEMA/SEMA, Water board), and community volunteers.
- Support and mentor WASH Committees, WASH, and Site maintenance team in planning and carrying out hygiene promotion on improving IDPs and communities’ risky WASH-related behaviours to ensure appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities
- Support and mentor WASH Committees and WASH maintenance team in planning and carrying out cholera preparedness and response initiatives in the camps and cholera hotspots
- Hold regular meetings with WASH Committees and the WASH maintenance team to discuss identified key risk practices
- and support the team of WASH Committees to plan and carry out appropriate community mobilization activities to promote safe practices
- Lead the implementation of the following activities:
- House-to-house visits, community meetings, and conduct focus group discussions/sessions on hygiene promotion and cholera preparedness and response
- Behaviour change campaigns in the communities, camps, health facilities, and schools
- Conduct regular community-wide environmental cleaning campaigns and promote safe waste disposal mechanisms to eliminate risks of vectors, and maintain the hygienic conditions of water points by eliminating contamination sources
- Discussion and activities on safe water storage and treatment
- Hand washing campaign
- Menstrual hygiene management promotion
- Use of hygiene promotion information, educational materials (IECs)
- Latrines monitoring and mobilize users on cleaning and maintenance
- Support IOM in the gathering of baseline data, profile of beneficiaries, and WaSH needs of the affected community.
- Information collected must be reliable/trustworthy and accurate.
- Synergize and act as a link between IOM’s WASH, Shelter, DTM, PSS, and the affected population at the camp/community level.
- Assess the needs and resources of IDPs in terms of basic WASH needs with participation.
- Notify challenges and changes during project implementation ahead of time.
- Submit daily, weekly, and monthly reports on time using standard format.
- Any other task not listed above when requested by the supervisors.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed University Diploma in Public Health, Environmental Health, or similar fields.
- Minimum of two years for a university diploma or a year for a degree
- Experience in the humanitarian field, NGO, and INGO is mandatory
- Demonstrated ability to maintain integrity in performing the responsibility assigned
- Proactive; independent worker; A great team player; Fast Learner; IT Literate: Interpersonal skill; Communication and negotiation skills; Administrative & Time Management skills; Proficiency in Microsoft applications; Must have strong analytical, planning and people management skills; Ability to prepare clear and concise report
- Trusted by the community, with certain maturity in making decisions, widely accepted, respected
- Possess good leadership skills and ability to explain instructions clearly to WASH Committees and Site maintenance team
- Ability to motivate and manage teams of WaSH Committees and Site maintenance teams in collaboration with WaSH staff
- Not biased towards men, accept the role of women in decision-making on key issues and respect gender sensitivities in the community
- Have some prior knowledge of health, hygiene, and community mobilisation. Willing and open to learning about hygiene promotion and community mobilisation work.
- Have enthusiasm characterised by being motivated to support IOM and communities in voluntary commitment.
- For all applicants, fluency in English (oral and written) and any other northern Nigeria Language (oral) is required.
- Previous experience in humanitarian work
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Values – All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respect and promote individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintain high ethical standards and act in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, and makes people feel safe, respected, and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators – Level 1:
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- An appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
10th September, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover Letter (not more than one page specifying the motivation for application) addressed to: “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” via: HRNIGERIA@iom.int using “CFCV2023. 93 Community engagement and Hygiene Promotion facilitator” as the subject of the mail.
Important Information and Notice
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter of not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM), and with a subject line CFCV2023. 93 Community engagement and Hygiene Promotion facilitator
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.