Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Officer
Location: Pulka, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
- Working under the guidance and supervision of the Nutrition Supervisor, the Nutrition Officer will be directly responsible for implementation of Community Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) or Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) program depending on assignment.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Implementation and monitoring of the nutrition activities
- Responsible for day to day management of nutrition activities at Outpatient Therapeutic Program (OTP) or IYCF project sites according to the standardized protocols, policies and guidelines outlined by the Nigeria Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) and/or Global nutrition standards
- Participate in the identification of eligible project beneficiaries and Community Focal persons including Community Nutrition Mobilsers, Lead Mothers according to assignment
- Participate in organising Project beneficiaries and Volunteers into groups and other Fora for dissemination of nutrition messages
- With the support of CMAM or IYCF Supervisors, participate in the planning and in the implementation of trainings for the beneficiaries, volunteers and community focal persons
- Participate in planning and conducting community/household surveys or assessments according to need
- Ensure OTP beneficiary absentee or defaulter tracing and other forms of beneficiary follow-ups at community level
- Ensure appropriate and consistent education messaging/Behaviour Change Communication (BCC) to mothers and other carers at OTP or IYCF project sites
- In liaison with supervisor, disseminate any relevant Information Education and Communication (IEC) materials and reporting tools to Lead Mothers, volunteers or health facility staff as may be required
- Implement outpatient therapeutic feeding of severely malnourished under-fives, and community outreach integrated with IYCF activities according to the stipulated protocols Train and mentor Nutrition project staff and community nutrition mobilisers (CNM) through identification of capacity gaps and carrying out refresher and on-the-job trainings
- Disseminate key messages on nutrition to the targeted beneficiaries, and ensure it is delivered appropriately
- Participate in surveillance activities including MUAC screening of the under-fives/pregnant and lactating women based on project needs
- Enhance close collaboration with Health, Food Security and Livelihoods, and Protection at project level
- Ensure nurture good collaboration between PUI and local community leaders
- Act as a liaison with the local population and authorities in order to identify the needs, grievances and major events that could have potential consequences for PUI activities
- Participate in ensuring that OTP or IYCF beneficiaries and local populations both understand the project goals and actively participate in their implementation.
Communication and Reporting:
- Pass on any information or problems to his/her direct and/or indirect supervisor concerning his/her task, PUI programs, or safety aspects
- Address any issues on the field with the beneficiaries or the community members and tell the line supervisor
- Represent PUI at anytime and anywhere when s/he is in duty
- Collect and compile data, pictures and information from the field to present accurate weekly internal reports to the supervisor
- Present weekly achievements, problems encountered and suggestion to improve the project implementation.
- Assist in strengthening the PUI’s community Feedback and Complains system
- Keep monitoring tools and files archived at the PUI office, ensuring their availability to his/her supervisor
Logistic and Administration:
- Contribute to logistical and administrative organization of the activities related to Nutrition Program
- Contribute to the definition of the needs in materials and tools regarding the program and the planning of interventions.
- Ensure the safety and good condition of nutrition material provided by PUI
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department
- Quality implementation of CMAM and IYCF programs according to global and national guidelines
- Quality data management and reporting of CMAM and IYCF activities
- Support the integrated approach through effective referral within the Nutrition components and with the other programs internally
- Build the capacity of the nutrition team on thematic areas related to nutrition.
Qualifications & Required Skills
- Education Degree: Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine, Nutrition, Dietetics, Nursing or an equivalent course
- Work experience: At least 1 year experience in CMAM and IYCF Preferably in Emergency in host communities or IDP camp settings
- Language skills: Fluent in English and Hausa, Kanuri is a plus
Knowledge and Skills:
- Understanding of nutritional surveillance and information systems
- Proven ability and experience in planning and conducting formal training session on nutrition including CMAM and IYCF
- Computer skills: Proficient user of MS Office (including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Commitment to the NGO values and principles
- Excellent knowledge of Borno State, willing to travel locally
- Team Management
- Strong Negotiator, Diplomatic and with problem solving skills
- Capacity to mobilize community
- Rigor and organizationHonesty
- Good communication skills
Application Closing Date
5th September, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online