Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nurse
Location: Talata Mafara, Zamfara
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Type: Indefinite
Slots: 4 Openings
Duty Station: Talata Mafara (only candidates based in this location would be considered)
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Providing nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment. Respecting medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to nursing ethics, medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures. Participating in health education of the patient (and family) with reference to patient centred care (involve care taker in management, show respect, empathy etc.)
- Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements, comfort and safety (ensure all patients sleep under provided mosquito nets). For ER and OPD nurse, ensure the same in triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care, refer to the doctor when necessary, and accompany the patient to the admitting ward, to hand over.
- Collaborate with hygiene agents, in requesting for clean linen and sterilized equipment, ensure decontamination/ safe collection of dirty linen and equipment after use (dirty linen placed black plastic bags in designated buckets with covered lids).
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health (supported by accurate, updated nursing charts) and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration.
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover (including supplies, medications, inventory of Equipment/furniture), and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed
- Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, etc.)
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Supervising, training, supporting CHEW, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures.
MSF Section / Context-Specific Accountabilities
The following specific accountabilities are relevant to all nursing environments (inpatient, outpatient, therapeutic feeding program,ITFC, IPD etc):
- Nurse request and ,receive linen, make beds and keep the used dirty linen in the bucket covered with a lid.
- Offer bedbaths to critical patients and tepid sponge the febrile patients, using provided bowls,that are later stored in the white containers outside the wards.
- Observe and follow the 5 moments of Hand Hygiene and appropriate glove use, plus safe waste disposal (used syringes, needles, organic ) as per IPC guidelines.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces of trays/trolleys /equipment, and materials before carrying out procedures.
- Organise, plan, and join the doctor during the ward round or patient review.
- Insert iv catheter(label the date), noso gastric tube, and collect patient sample following aseptic technique.
- Take vital signs and score the PEWs regularly and frequently, depending on the patient’s condition, and take action when detecting any danger signs.
- Plan and provide quality, safe, confidential nursing care with the involvement of the caretakers,to all patients, in strict adherence to medical ethics, msf principal and values.
- Provide medical and nutritional care as prescribed, with proper documentation on nursing notes, charts , and prescription sheets, while involving and explaining to the caretakers, in accordance to MSF protocols.
- Apply and use aseptic techniques, when conducting any invasive procedures.
- Check and confirm completion of anthropometric measurements, and if child meets admission criteria, must be registered for the therapeutic feeding program, if not done.
- Orientate patients and caretakers to the hospital environment including delivering health education, information about the patient’s condition, and on discharge confirm vaccination status, and advise all necessary heath toxics accordingly.
- Identify children who are eligible for vaccination and refer as appropriate
- Ensures no material is taken out of nursing areas without prior authorisation of the shift incharge, and maintains accurate inventory registers during the shift and handover.
- Check all the oxygen concentrators at the beginning of each shift, reporting malfunction,and usage according to BIO MED guidelines.
- Reports and documents in the departmental registers,any problematic situations that arise to nursing team supervisor.
- Participate in all trainings delivered to the department and make an ongoing effort to maintain and update medical knowledge and skills.
- Be flexible to cover the other nursing departments as the needs of the project require(including moving to the department with high patient/ low staff ratio).
- Collaborate, and communicate tactfully and professionally in the team environment with nurses, doctors, patients, caretakers, and all other team members.
- If supporting patient referral outside Anka, monitor the patient condition throughout the transportation, then hand over all information to the referral nurse. Also ensure to prepare equipment prior to departure and return it at the end of the referral.
- Organize the working environment, with correct supplies and equipment available (for outreach activities ensure this is packed into the car in advance of departure.
- Reports on duty on time and receive the hand over report, dressed in a prescribed nursing uniform .
- Communicates and treats caretakers with respect and the children in a caring manner.
The following specific accountabilities are relevant to the therapeutic feeding program:
- Fix nasogastric tubes, confirm it is in situ, before feeding, and chart and record the amount.
- In outreach sites:
- Carry out consultations of children by undertaking a complete clinical examination looking for associated pathologies, and arranging appropriate prescriptions according to MSF protocols (including referral for admission or emergency management).
- Ensure all TFC children undergo appetite testing according to protocol.
- Fill out TFC-specific paperwork, forms are used and completed correctly.
- Ensure provision of required vaccinations to and elegible children visiting the hospital
Universal hygiene standards, precautions and infection control in the premises:
- Maintain patient environment clean and tidy while collaborating with hygiene agents ,for caretakers’ to fold belonging and keep in the plastic containers below the bed/cots,mats kept ouside and no caretaker sleeping on the flour during the day.
- Collect all used transfusion blood bags for storage in the plastic containers,discard used solusets no longer in use in the bins, and use kidney dish/trays to receive the blood.
- Diseggregates the contaminated waste (including needles and other sharps) and dispose in the provided bins as per IPC protocols.
- Observers the 5 Moments for Hand Hygiene (WHO) (before touching a patient, before clean/aseptic procedures, after body fluid exposure/risk, after touching a patient, and after touching patient surroundings
- Wears the right work attire (Uniform, PPE when there is need) and strict adheres to all MSF guidelines of infection control
- Is conversant of Post exposure prophylaxis, and takes all necessary steps to dispose the sharps and needles s perprotocal and prevent harm on the patient and hygiene agent.
- Apply open vial policy,to avoid contamination, while sticking to treatment routine to minimize the wastage.
Data Management / Reporting:
- Collection and updating of patient admission and exit numbers in working area on every shift.
- Count the number of patient in bed and update the board.
- Organize patient files, administer medical, prescriptions, monitor all fluids and accurately document on the chart.
- Handover report of patient equipment, supplies done with physical observation of patients, folders and updated registers confirmed per shift, by the receiving team.
- Participate in collecting statistics and documentation of patient’s information and report to NTS.
- Carry out and the inventory as per available checklist, in the wards, hospital pharmacy if required.
- Check the medical equipment before and after duty, report and confirming functionality and availability for the next team.
- Carry out a stock count and note consumption in the department, and report any expired drugs, overstocking before making new requests.
- Shift incharge to check,update the checklist of the resuscitation kit and signed(if acting as shift incharge,ensure to assign a staff.)
- Monitors and records the consumption of medical materials, drugs and supplies, and participates in preparing the daily order in collaboration with nursing team supervisor
- Store medicaation is and administer correctly according to guidelines (open vial policy, cold chain, Nursing Guideline etc
- Be flexible to perform any other task, requested by the supervisor/NAM
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Education: Nursing degree or Diploma and valid practicing license
- Experience: Minimum of 2 years experience as a Nurse
- Languages: Mission and local language essential.
- Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (Word, Excel and Internet)
- Competencies: Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation, Behavioural Flexibility, Commitment to MSF Principles, Service and Orientation and Stress Management.
Application Closing Date
14th September, 2023 – (5:00 PM).
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will notbe considered.
- The deadline for the position is 14th September 2023 (5:00 PM)
- Only shortlisted candidates would be contacted.
- Any documents sent to MSF-OCA (CV, cover letter, copies of diploma, recommendations letters) will not be returned by MSF-OCA.
- No Transportation and/or any Allowance will be provided during the recruitment process.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization