Life at Best Development Initiative (LABDI) is a team of change-makers who believe that every helping hand can create a better future for survivors of wars. We started extending help to vulnerable children and women who were affected by the insurgency which began in Borno state, Nigeria, in 2009. This moment intensified when we found that there were many such vulnerable children, women, and households who needed help with food, shelter, and education. Our team expanded and we spread out into different parts of the BAY states to make sure we cover all possible areas and help as many children, women, and households as possible. We support children, families, and communities affected by insurgencies and natural disasters.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: MIYCN Counsellor
- The post holder is responsible for the planning and implementation of IYCF program in the assigned sites in collaboration with the Nutrition officers, and Nutrition Nurse.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Overall responsibility for the day-to-day management of IYCF-E activities in the assigned
- Provide technical guidance on IYCF to staff at nutrition services sites, and community levels,
- Ensure staff at the nutrition services sites understand and implement the national IYCF protocol.
- Ensure appropriate and consistent IYCF messaging to mothers and other carers at nutrition services sites.
- Ensure inclusion of IYCF activities during outreach and community-based sensitizations for nutrition activities
- Prepare field visit plans and supervision checklist in advance of trips (find example of supervision checklist in toolkit).
- Compile monthly activity reports and assist with stock consumption/distribution plans for each of the mother-baby areas as required.
- Provide supportive supervision to Mother-to-Mother Support Groups;
- Conduct orientations and trainings to build the capacity of staff/volunteers, and the community at large.
- Ensure availability and distribution of IYCF IEC materials to nutrition services sites, and catchment health facilities.
- Facilitate coordination for breast feeding.
- Demonstrate compliance and leadership with LABDI policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, PSEA and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Diploma in Health, Nutrition, Nursing, or related field with a minimum of one (1) – two (2) year relevant experiences.
- Understanding of community management of acute malnutrition.
- Able to supervise, train and coach community nutrition workers, and volunteers.
- Experience in facilitating community-based trainings.
- Computer skills knowledge and applications especially Ms Word and Excel
- Strong communications skills, and a good team player.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to be respectful, kind, sensitive and empathise with children and their careers.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions.
- Ability and willingness to frequently travel and stay at the field.
- Strong report writing and computer skills.
- Understanding of local language and culture is mandatory.
- Understanding of English language (Listening, speaking, reading, writing).
- Qualified nutritionist with nutrition education/IYCF experience
Experience and Skills:
- Problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Able to work to tight deadlines and under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ethical sensitivity, and ability to empathise with children, youth and their carers.
Behaviours (Values in Practice):
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Life at Best Development Initiative values.
- Holds the team accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance, and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications (Letter of Motivation and CV) in a single PDF file to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.