Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. By transforming children’s lives now, we change the course of their future and ours. Please give monthly and support our mission. Save the Children is working to strengthen health systems and support maternal and child health in four northern states. Much work needs to be done for Nigeria to deliver its promises on Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 (which aim to reduce child mortality and improve maternal health) before 2015. Facts About Nigeria More than 173 Million people live there The average girl stays in school only until she’s 9 123 out of 1000 children die before their 5th birthday A parent earns an average of just $4 a day Our Work Save the Children has been working in Nigeria since 2001. We’re helping to improve health systems in northern Nigeria to delivery maternal, newborn, and child health services, including the revival of routine immunization.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Location: Borno
- Job Field: Data Science / Research , NGO/Non-Profit
The MEAL Assistant will be a part of the MEAL team. He / she will assist the MEAL team with activities, including data collection, coordination with the response programmes; assisting with planning field visits and assessments. He / she will support in gathering feedback and complaints from the affected population in the different accountability mechanisms (e.g. focus group discussions, child participatory activities, post-distribution monitoring).
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Key Responsibilities for M&E:
- Assist in programme updates for the response management and internal information sharing
- Assist MEAL officer with data collection processes if needed
- Conduct field monitoring visits (including the use of the Quality benchmark/monitoring checklist) and facilitating focus group discussions
- Assist with implementation of programme evaluations (data collection)
- Support MEAL in conducting assessments as needed
- Responsible for handling, documenting, confidentiality and security of all informational resource related to feedback and complaints from beneficiaries
- Support Complaints and Feedback Mechanism, including communicating responses to complainants; liaise with programmes and operations to ensure prompt follow-up on feedback and complaints received.
- Contribute to preparing weekly, monthly and quarterly reports on MEAL.
- Prepare field visit report and do debriefing and action planning with the relevant staff.
- Conduct quality monitoring of programme activities, measured against international standards and using participatory methodologies (including child-friendly methodologies) and the quality benchmarks.
- Coordinate and communicate with MEAL and relevant programme staff regarding feedback and complaints
- Maintain liaison with MEAL unit and programme particularly field coordination/community mobilization team.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- high level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- holds self and others accountable
- creating best-in-class EA function
- future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- designing more effective admin and data management systems
- willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, and demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- First degree (B.Sc / HND) in relevant studies
- Must have completed NYSC
- Minimum of a year relevant work experience
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Listening skills
- Good understanding of routine data quality checks/validation
- Experience in survey and qualitative interviewing, including supervising field data collection teams and writing research case studies
- Problem analysis and problem solving
- Proficient in relevant computer applications
- Ability to work in a team with flexibility to undertake challenging task and adapt to different working conditions.
- Good spoken, reading and writing skills in English with the ability to produce quality report
- Kanuri proficiency is a must.
- Have experience and/or knowledge about working with children on research issues and is aware of the local legal and child protection systems.
- Ability to work as part of a team, Flexibility, adaptability, and patience
- Ability to work under pressure often to strict deadlines.
- Experience working in a post-conflict environment/refugee/IDP situation
Closing; 03, July, 2023