Canonical – We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world’s biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world’s most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation – Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it’s the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Linux Server Software Engineering Manager
Location: Lagos (Remote)
- The Partner Engineering team works with the leading silicon companies to optimise Ubuntu to get the most from each new chip. Our goal is to collaborate with specialist engineers from our partners to integrate next-generation features and performance enhancements for upcoming hardware, while also ensure a common operating experience for their users.
- This role is a fast-paced, problem-solving role that’s challenging yet very exciting. The right candidate must be resourceful, articulate, and able to deliver on a wide variety of solutions across server and data center technologies.
- As a Partner Engineering Manager at Canonical you will lead an engineering team that works across the full Linux server stack from kernel to AI workloads, to optimise Ubuntu for the latest silicon. You will manage relationships with our key technology partners by ensuring timely delivery on agreed project milestones.
- As a lead for strong engineers, technical leadership and a solid background in software engineering is a must, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your team members. Code reviews and architectural leadership are part of the job.
- As a Manager, the commitment to healthy engineering practices, documentation, quality, and performance optimisation are equally important technical responsibilities, as is the requirement for fair and clear management, and the obligation to ensure a high performing team.
- You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
What your day will look like:
- Lead a team of distributed engineers to design and implement the best Ubuntu integration for the latest server-class hardware platforms and software stacks
- Engage with commercial partners to deliver a delightful, optimised, first class Ubuntu experience on their platforms
- Develop your team through coaching, mentoring, leading by example, and feedback
- Oversee commercial engagements and support timely delivery on agreed project milestones
- Ensure an ongoing commitment to strict quality and reliability standards
- Engage with other teams at Canonical to ensure alignment on product architecture and roadmaps
- Work from home with global travel up to twice a year for up to two weeks
What we are looking for in you:
- Proven track record in technical roles with Linux, preferably Ubuntu or Debian
- High quality software engineering with in-depth knowledge of C/C++ and Python
- Experience with one or more of: Ubuntu – kernel and userspace, deb/snap packaging, embedded linux, QEMU/KVM and/or OVS/OVN
- Experience working directly with customers, going beyond resolving their technical issues, to interpreting their business challenges and effectively communicating how your solution will meet their needs
- Experience managing software engineers with a track record of planning, delivery and quality
- Effective collaboration across multiple internal teams, building trust and delivering results
What we offer you
- Your base pay will depend on various factors including your geographical location, level of experience, knowledge and skills. In addition to the benefits above, certain roles are also eligible for additional benefits and rewards including annual bonuses and sales incentives based on revenue or utilisation. Our compensation philosophy is to ensure equity right across our global workforce.
- In addition to a competitive base pay, we provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. Please note that additional benefits may apply depending on the work location and, for more information on these, you can ask in the later stages of the recruitment process.
- Fully remote working environment – we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of 2,000USD per annum
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues at ‘sprints’
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online