The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a global humanitarian aid, relief and development nongovernmental organization. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers emergency aid and long-term assistance to refugees and those displaced by war, persecution or natural disaster.
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 3 years
- Location Borno
- Job Field ICT / Computer , NGO/Non-Profit
- The IT Department supports the organization’s work by providing reliable and scalable applications and infrastructure for the IRC’s offices in the US and around the world, including many technologically challenging locations. An integral component of this effort is ensuring that Country Programs have the capacity to implement and support these IT initiatives effectively across the country offices and in the field sites.
- Reporting to the Senior IT Manager, the IT Officer will provide desktop support services to end users and be in charge of the office Network infrastructure configuration and management and Server system administration in the office under his purview. This also includes computers and end-user applications installations, mobile device configurations, installation and configuration of network printers and other computer peripherals, and all aspects of local domain Active Directory management.
- A key aspect of this role is ensuring all technology implementations in-country conform to the global IT policies and procedures hence working closely with the Senior IT Manager and Country IT Lead.
- Position Holder serves as focal person for IRC IT operations in the deep field sites of Monguno and Gwoza and any new deep field office in Borno State, while seating at and supporting the Maiduguri office.
System Setup and Configuration:
- Collaborate with the IT team to set up and configure computer systems with the required software and operating systems.
- Ensure adherence to standard configurations and implement updates as needed.
User Support and Troubleshooting:
- Provide technical assistance to end users, addressing hardware, software, and network-related issues promptly and effectively.
- Assist users in configuring and troubleshooting software applications, including productivity tools and business-specific software.
Network Infrastructure Management:
- Deploy and maintain the local area network (LAN) infrastructure, including cabling, wireless connectivity, and network equipment.
- Collaborate with the IT team to ensure optimal network performance, security, and availability.
Documentation and Asset Management:
- Maintain accurate documentation of IT systems, configurations, and procedures.
- Track and manage IT assets, including computers, peripherals, software licenses, and warranties.
Server and Active Directory Management:
- Assist in the deployment, maintenance, and administration of servers, including the management of Active Directory and domain services.
- Monitor server performance, conduct routine maintenance tasks, and ensure data backup and disaster recovery procedures are in place.
IT Project Support:
- Collaborate with the IT team and project stakeholders to provide technical expertise and support for IT-related projects.
- Contribute to the planning, implementation, and evaluation of IT initiatives.
Security and Compliance:
- Ensure adherence to IT security policies and procedures, including user access management, data protection, and system vulnerability assessments.
- Stay updated on industry best practices and emerging technologies to enhance system security and compliance.
- Identify areas for process improvement and propose innovative solutions to enhance IT operations and user experience.
- Stay abreast of technological advancements and recommend appropriate upgrades or enhancements.
Perform other duties as directed by the Senior IT Manager or Country IT Lead.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Senior IT Manager/Coordinator.
Position directly supervises: IT Assistant/IT Interns if applicable.
Indirectly Reports: IT Coordinator if applicable.
Indirectly supervises: IT Assistant if applicable.
Other internal and/or external contacts:
- Program Coordinators, Finance Controller, HR & Supply Chain Coordinators, Field Coordinators
- Vendors and Consultants
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science/Engineering, or a related field.
- At least 3 years experience in IT
- Proven experience in IT support, network administration, and system troubleshooting.
- Proficiency in configuring and supporting hardware, software, and network equipment.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft operating systems and applications (e.g., Windows, Office Suite).
- Familiarity with server administration, Active Directory, and domain services.
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and independently.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Experience using Unifi network devices.
- Good technical writing/documentation skills
- Experience with ServiceNow Ticketing system
- Knowledge of VSAT ka-band, c-band and Starlink Technologies
- Certifications such as CompTIA A+, Network+, or Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) are a plus.
Soft Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to work harmoniously with other staff members in cross-cultural contexts.
- Good verbal communication and report-writing skills with the ability to convey information effectively in the Country’s official language.
- Customer & client-centered and service-oriented mind & attitude, and ability to work under pressure and diligently carry out instructions.
- Proven sense of professional discretion, integrity, and ability to manage situations diplomatically and to effective resolution.
- Flexibility, ability to multitask, and work with little supervision.
- Excellent English and other major Country languages communication skills including speaking, listening, and writing. Knowledge of Hausa will be an added advantage.