We are the directing and coordinating authority on international health within the United Nations’ system. We do this by: providing leadership on matters critical to health and engaging in partnerships where joint action is needed; shaping the research agenda and stimulating the generation, translation and dissemination of valuable knowledge; setting norms and standards and promoting and monitoring their implementation; articulating ethical and evidence-based policy options; providing technical support, catalysing change, and building sustainable institutional capacity; and monitoring the health situation and assessing health trends. Leadership priorities For each 6-year programme of work priority areas are identified where our leadership is most needed.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 7 years
- Location: Abuja
- Job Field: Media / Advertising / Branding
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The role of the Graphics Designer is to contribute to messaging and positioning of the Organization through the presentation of well-designed products which successfully present WHO Nigeria’s brand, corporate identity and anticipated messaging. The incumbent designs concepts and templates for official publications, as well as layouts and artwork for use in various media products. He/she ensures consistency in messaging through the use of templates and training across the country.
Under the direct supervision of the Communications Officer, the Graphics Designer is expected to provide recommendations to senior management relating to layout and design of all official publications, and products submitted for publication outside the Organization (such as magazines). Incumbent works with managers and focal points across the country to maximize the impact of the communications products through meaningful, attractive and informative design techniques. Incumbent works with contracted printers to ensure their products are of high quality and consistent and compatible with WHO communication policies and practices.
Summary of Assigned Duties (Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives)
- Design themes, Layouts, contents and covers of documents.
- Development of figures, including colours, fonts, graphics and layout, and resulting materials such as Newsletters, brochures, banners, posters, fliers and booklets.
- Creation of graphic templates to be used for reports and presentations.
- Preparation of printing packages (all layout and design files) for printing of publications and other communication products (banners, posters, booklets, leaflets, books, calendars, bulletins, flyers, cards)
- Deliver creative and innovative ideas for print, web and interactive presentations. This will require the graphic designer to provide technical solutions for use of new media (virtual 3D words/boxes, postcards).
- Create animations for illustrative purposes such as animations, presentations and more advanced solutions (design of CD/DVD packaging, graphic digitalization)
- Maintain and further develop the graphic guidelines, in line with overall WCO directives
- Maintain presentation templates (In-design, CorelDraw, Publisher Word, PowerPoint etc)
- Provide videography and photographic support to clusters
- Assist in establishing and be responsible for maintaining photo library.
- Build local capacity on graphics
- Any other duties as may be requested.
- Perform other related responsibilities as assigned, including replacing and backstopping for others as required
- Essential: Completion of secondary school education with training in graphic design.
- Desirable: Bachelor degree in communications with specialization in graphic design, qualification in project management..
- Essential: At least seven (7) years’ experience as a Graphic Designer. Some publishing experience in an international organization or major corporation body.
- Desirable: Proficiency with photography and video. Proficiency with designing social media cards, gifts and other materials.
- Good, communications and interpersonal skills. Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment and to communicate with respect, tact and diplomacy.
- Knowledge of the principles, techniques and practices of information dissemination whether in hardcopy publication, online or via social media mechanisms.
- Understanding of the impact of communications on the reputation, image, and success of an organization and the importance of the information product. Excellent design and conceptual skills.
- Thorough knowledge of a full range of graphic techniques, including typography, design, computer-assisted design and production. Layout and printing techniques; production of camera-ready material for a variety of media.