UNDP has been in Nigeria since the country became independent in 1960 providing capacity building and policy development support to the Federal Government of Nigeria in areas of Governance & Peace Building, Inclusive growth and Sustainable Development. UNDP continues to support, the government in the preparation of the second National Implementation Plan of the National Vision 20:2020. UNDP works in partnership with the Federal Government of Nigeria, development partners, UN agencies, civil society and local communities to help identify local solutions to meet national development challenges through a range of interventions that combine UNDP’s expertise and comparative advantage in the areas of Governance & Peace Building, Inclusive growth and Sustainable Development.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience: 5 years
- Location: Sokoto
- Job Field: NGO/Non-Profit
Scope of Work
Under the direct supervision of the Conflict & Political Economy Specialist, the Field Specialist will be responsible for the following functions and tasks:
Summary of Key Functions:
- Serve as the coordinating focal point for the UNDP engagement in the NW.
- Oversee the implementation of day-to-day activities of the NW intervention.
- Support the development of programme strategies and project activities with strong technical soundness.
- Support knowledge management and information sharing, including monitoring and evaluation, reporting and communications with the interventions in the NW.
Duties and Responsibilities
Serve as the coordinating focal point for the UNDP engagement in the NW:
- Ensure efficient coordination with and between stakeholders, partners and UNDP presence in the NW region and with the Country Office;
- Establish networks among all major stakeholders engaging in the related areas, including the government counterparts, local business associations, community-based organizations, UN agencies and the international community;
- Identify potential partners and interested parties who would contribute to achievement of the project activities;
- Outreach and coordinate with UN agencies and other actors, such as governments, the private sector, and NGOs/CSOs, to create synergies and collaboration for greater positive impacts of the UNDP interventions.
Oversee the implementation of day-to-day activities of the NW intervention:
- Oversee and monitor day-to-day project activities, providing technical support to ensure that project activities are implemented in line with the planned timeline and results. Promptly report to Conflict & Political Economy Specialist, Senior Management in UNDP, and relevant actors whenever issues that require their attention arise;
- Support formulation of a detailed implementation plan of the identified interventions, including potential implementing partners, methodologies, and coordination mechanisms, in accordance with UNDP’s rules and regulations.
Support the development of programme strategies and project activities with strong technical soundness:
- Review analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and provide substantive inputs to the NW projects;
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned;
- Ensure the integration of conflict and gender sensitive approaches into programme strategies and project activities.
Support knowledge management and information sharing, including monitoring and evaluation, reporting and communications with the interventions in the NW:
- Disseminate analyses of the relevant data and research documents on a regular basis to relevant stakeholders;
- Regularly contribute to reporting and briefings;
- Facilitate and document human interest stories of beneficiaries and develop communication materials.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Development/Relations, Economics, Business Management, Political Science, or other relevant field.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in peacebuilding, conflict prevention or climate security;
- Experience in a conflict and post conflict environment with knowledge of socio-economic, culture, and community development issues in complex crisis situations is a strong advantage;
- Experience of working in/on the context of Northern Nigeria;
- Experience with diverse projects in complex environments, involving multi-disciplinary teams, broad ranges of stakeholders, and within volatile security situations is strongly preferred;
- Previous coordination or management experience with UNDP and other UN agencies strongly preferred;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Data Analysis;
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively in Hausa, or any other local language spoken in the NW region is desirable.