International Finance Corporation (IFC) a sister organization of the World Bank and member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in developing countries. The Bank Group has set two goals for the world to achieve by 2030: end extreme poverty and promote shared prosperity in every country.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: ET Consultant, Communications
Job Code: req23325
Employment Type: Full time
Term Duration: 1 year 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
- We are looking to hire an ET Consultant, Communications to work in the Regional Communications Unit of IFC to implement our communications strategy and content development in Central Africa, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone with flexibility to support other countries/sub-regions as needed.
- The Regional Communications Unit coordinates the communications network across the regions where IFC operates.
- The network’s objectives include supporting IFC’s operations, strengthening IFC’s brand and communicating its development impact to internal and external clients to demonstrate that IFC is the premier development institution focused on the private sector.
- It promotes IFC’s thought leadership and a better understanding of the key role of private sector in development, as well as managing reputational risks around IFC’s investments and policies.
- The position will be based in Lagos, Nigeria and reports to the Africa Communications Lead based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Duties and Accountabilities
- This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced communications professional to implement the communications strategy for IFC in Central Africa, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone.
- The successful candidate will have a solid background in communications, preferably with experience in Africa, and will help to devise and implement strategies that position IFC as the leading international development finance organization for the private sector.
Specific work areas include the following:
- Advice: Serves as a trusted advisor on communications to IFC management and staff implementing IFC’s operations strategy in Central Africa, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone. Provides guidance on internal and external communications, reputational risk management, partnerships and stakeholder engagement, and implements the communications strategy in the sub-region.
- Products: Conceptualizes and supervises the preparation, production and dissemination of communication products (e.g., feature stories, news releases, op-eds, blog posts, speeches, presentations, briefing notes, online and social media content, etc.) and thought leadership for the department. Writes and/or oversees preparation of high-profile speeches, talking points, op-eds, and presentations, as well as client-facing collateral and internal staff engagement content.
- Networks: Initiates effective professional relationships with key external and/or internal constituencies (e.g., the media, civil society, academia, businesses, government agencies, influencers, World Bank Group colleagues, etc.).
- Events: Oversees planning, coordination, and logistics, often across multiple teams, for IFC-organized conferences and seminars, executive missions and speeches, public or broadcast appearances, press briefings, and other communications-related activities involving external and/or internal audiences.
- Risk management: Supports risk identification and mitigation activities in the context of regional and operational communication interventions; advises specific internal and external stakeholders; and provides political economy analysis for relevant countries. Focus includes current events, public opinion, social or political issues, and other external or internal developments related to Central Africa, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone.
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Political Science, International Relations, Public Affairs, Marketing, Business/Finance with 8 or more years’ experience in corporate communications, international relations, public affairs, political science, or other related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience. In addition, a degree in Business Administration and/or working experience in Investment Operations will be valued.
- Strong knowledge and experience working across in markets in Africa and the private sector a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage relationships with senior industry colleagues and content experts and contribute to strategy development.
- Proven ability to capture trends, case studies and innovations in communications products in a compelling, easy-to-understand manner.
- Proven ability to think strategically and rapidly analyze diverse information from varied sources and an ability to learn, adapt, and to be innovative as new communications challenges arise.
- Self-motivated, creative, excellent organizational skills, proven ability to perform multiple tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a willingness to work in a team environment.
- Excellent English skills including writing and editing skills.
- Understanding of multilateral development institutions, including the World Bank Group, its policies and operations; understanding of current development topics and issues.
- WBG Core Competencies for all staff: Client orientation; Drive for results; Teamwork of collaboration and inclusion; Knowledge, Learning and communication; and Business judgment and analytical decision-making
- The candidate should be available to travel widely across the Africa, including in difficult markets where security risks may prevail.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
Application Closing Date
14th July, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.