Medecins Sans Frontieres is a private, not-for-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in distress, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. MSF has been active in Katsina since February 2021 after carrying an exploratory mission that end up with an opening of the project under the Emergency-Cell.
Currently, MSF is running an ITFC (Inpatient Therapeutic Feeding Centre) in Katsina in the Kofar Sauri PHCC and TuraiYar’Adua Hospital and 8 ATFC (Ambulatory Therapeutic Feeding Centre) including four in Jibia LGA (Magama, Daddara, GubiMagaria, Riko, Mashi, Majigiri and Sonkaya) and one in Katsina City (Kofar Marusa).
The French Section of Médecins Sans Frontières is currently recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Epidemiologist
Contract: Fixed Term
Contract: 208 working hours per month
- Assessing, implementing, and maintaining epidemiological surveillance systems/monitoring according to MSF protocols, standards, and procedures, to contribute to evidence-based decision-making, using well-managed health data in the outbreak and emergency MSF programs
Main responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Carrying out key epidemiological activities in outbreak investigation (description including time, place, and people with emphasis on mapping when it is needed) and advising on the operational response
- Implementing and maintaining a surveillance system to monitor epidemiological trends of relevant outbreak-prone diseases. Guiding activities of medical staff for surveillance and/or active case finding, including ensuring the use of consistent case definitions and data recording (briefing of all new staff)
- Monitoring and implementing initial assessment (for the emergency situation), rapid health assessments, and (baseline or follow-up) surveys. Where standard protocols are not available or appropriate, developing a protocol and pilot testing of tools to ensure objectives will be met with the support of HQ epidemiologist
- Preparing and adapting routine documentation (survey forms, training materials, letters of request/notification, locally appropriate consent forms, etc.). Preparing an appropriate sampling frame and sample selection guidelines, with the support of HQ epidemiologist
- Planning and supervising the associated HR processes of the staff under his/her responsibility (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development, and communication) and ensuring that staff exhibits required skills after training and pilot test
- Managing data systems and ensuring accurate, high-quality databases; analysing results and preparing regular written reports on progress and findings for medical coordinator/HQ and when appropriate to external collaborators/networks (MoH, other NGOs, etc.)
- Provide training sessions to medical teams on epidemiologic aspects to enhance team response capacity
- Medical Doctor (preferable), Biomedical background with a Degree in Epidemiology. MBBS/BSc Biomedical Science
- At least 2 years relevant professional experience including at least 1 years’ relevant experience with MSF or other NGOs.
- At least a few years of tropical medicine experience (having assumed a coordination position is a plus)
- Experience in field epidemiology
- Fluency in English Essential and any local language desirable
- Literacy in Microsoft Packages (Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet), Commitment, flexibility, result and quality oriented, teamwork and stress management skills are essential
- Use of epidemiology-related analytical software (excel, Epi-info, STATA or SPSS)
Application Closing Date
10th July, 2023; 4:00PM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
The application must include:
- Complete CV with Cover letter and copies of all certificates and diplomas mentioned in the CV
- Applicant Contact details and ID, and contact of references mentioned in the application
- Only successful applicants will be called for next steps and are obligated to disclose any information about familymember(s) currently in the employ of MSF-France in any location.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours in kind, nor other types of favouritism will be tolerated in the MSF recruitment process.
- MSF reserves the right to refuse hiring a candidate having benefitted from any such acts. All illicit demands may be pursued through the judicial system.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages any Nigerian citizen to apply irrespective of race, gender, religion, creed, political affiliation.