Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Education Specialist
Job Identification: 1777
Location: Ogoja, Cross River
JobType: Full Time
Contract Length: 12 months
Team / Programme: BPRM/UNHCR
Reports to: Program Manager
Staff reporting to this post: Education in Emergency Coordinator and Officers (Ogoja/Adikpo)
Budget Responsibilities: Yes
- The Job Holder will coordinate the planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting on the Education projects under his area of responsibility in the three states of South-South of Nigeria (Cross River, Taraba and Benue states). The Education Specialist will provide technical support to the Education project team to deliver education project activities on time, quality and within budget in line with SCI and INEE standards and commitments.
- H/She will lead the involvement of local education authorities and community members in the project; and support the project team to mobilize the community to ensure participation, and sustainability of the project as well as the voices of community members, including women and children are heard.
- The Education Specialist in close collaboration with the Programme Manager(s) will assist vulnerable children to receive quality education in a child-friendly and safe learning environment.
- The post holder is responsible for the assessment, response analysis, design and implementation of the Education component of Save the Children refugees response in the three states of Nigeria.
- The Education Specialist will particularly ensure the technical support and integrated programing with Child Protection and other program components in the response.
- Under the guidance of the Field Manager, Programme Manager and Head of Education, the Education Specialist will ensure that all Education projects are implemented in a coordinated, harmonized and aligned manner, in line with donor requirements and commitments.
- The Education Specialist will be responsible for supporting the Programme Manager in submission of timely progress reports (narrative and financial) for onwards submission to the donor.
Key Area of Responsibilities
Projects Coordination & Management:
- Hold the project orientation meetings in the 3 States (Cross River, Taraba and Benue) with government officials, INGOs, NNGOs partners.
- Oversee the coordination and implementation of all the field office Education projects across Benue and Cross River State in line with the design of the project and donor requirements.
- Establish, maintain and strengthen linkages with the key stakeholders of the project in order to manage and implement project activities as per the projects design.
- Conduct community entry meetings for the two education projects in the targeted Local Government Areas of interventions.
- Monitor and ensure timely and quality reports are submitted as per the reporting requirements.
- Working closely with Project Manager, Head of Education, Awards, Operations Team, Supply Chain, Finance and MEAL to ensure quality program delivery, documentation and reporting of progress.
Operational Planning and Implementation:
- Education Specialist will ensure planning, development, implementation, monitoring, documentation and reporting for Benue and Cross River States.
- Effectively support the EiE Coordinator and Officers in developing weekly, monthly and annual plans, in line with Education Projects design and Save the Children International planning guidelines.
- Education Specialist will ensure compliance with the agreed work plans and that programme objectives and targets are being realized in line with the funding proposal.
- Provide guidance to the project staff through the planning processes to develop plans that are cost effective and in line with donors funding.
- Maintain high standard of transparency and accountability in the course of project implementation while ensuring integrity and timeliness of activities implementation in meeting programme objectives, compliance with donors & Save the Children policies.
- Provision of regular operations and implementation updates on project progress and challenges to allow for timely interventions and corrective actions by management.
Narrative and Financial Reporting:
- Work closely with the EiE Coordinator and Officers to prepare timely and high-quality quarterly narrative and financial reports, which are in accordance to the donor reporting schedule and formats and submit to Program Manager for onwards submission to the donors.
- Review all Education component reports ensuring that donor guidelines have been followed and high standard met, prior to submission to management.
- Organize and facilitate quarterly follow-ups and progress review meetings to address key performance issues from the reports.
Internal and External Engagements:
- Work closely with the Project Manager in ensuring that the program experience is represented and given recognition at stakeholder meetings, workshops, donor, networks and any other engagements.
- Develop and maintain regular channels of communication with partners and key stakeholders at all levels (Community, LGEA and State).
- In close coordination with MEAL, the Education Specialist will manage the baseline assessment of the project. In addition, the person will support to populate the data on the Log frame of the project with the targets and baseline values from baseline assessment.
- Effectively manage projects design and study processes which include assessments, baseline and evaluation studies, putting in place a functional Activity Tracking Table.
- Ensure regular monitoring of projects results, documentation of projects case studies, lessons learnt, significant changes and best practices and coordinating learning and reflection meetings/sessions.
- Monitor and track project activities to ensure quality, timeliness and adherence to both Country Office and international Save the Children policies and procedures.
People Management and Development:
- Working together with the Project Team to identify learning and development needs of the EiE Coordinator and Officers and develop specific plans to address the learning needs.
- Support implementation of the Save the Children performance management system, by supporting, supervising and reviewing performance of the EIE Coordinator and Officers.
- Coaching and mentoring the EiE Coordinator and Officers on the provision of technical support and implementation of quality programmes.
- Capacity building of EiE Coordinator and Officers through training programs, coaching, performance management, implementation as well as in learning and reflection events
- Lead, manage and motivate officers, ensuring they have clear objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their performance regularly, in collaboration with the project manager and human resources department.
- Create and maintain a cooperative and positive working environment where staff have clear roles and responsibilities, participate in decision-making and are supported in progressing towards their objectives.
- Participate in monthly/weekly project management meetings to enable adequate staff support
- In liaison with Program Manager, Field Manager and Head of Education provide guidance and support to projects officers, partners and stakeholders
Application Closing Date
27th June, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online