The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Special Representative of Chairperson (SRCC)
Requisition ID: 1881
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Contract Type: Shortterm
Reports to: SRCC
Job Grade: P6
Number of Direct Reports: 6
Purpose of Job
- To deputize the SRCC support him in providing leadership, operational support, and follow up the implementation of ATMIS mandate including the security and safety of the Staff as well as ATMIS assets.
- Coordinates Division activities and ensure timely delivery of goals and objectives.
- Supervises and manages employees to ensure successful performance.
- Designs strategies and policies consistent with the Mission’s goals in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area.
- Leads and supervises the design and plan policy programs to achieve Mission strategies.
- Develops new and reviews activities as components of these strategies and policies.
- Represents the SRCC at conferences and meetings.
- Liaises with the ATMIS Regional Offices and coordinates activities of the field offices
- Coordinates activities of humanitarians and the UNCT
- Mobilizes resources for execution of programmes and activities of the department.
- Manages risk and recommend mitigation strategies.
- Designs strategies and policies consistent with the AU’s goal in Somalia in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area.
- Develops new and expands on existing activities as components of the strategies and policies
- Monitors and reports on compliance with safety and security policies, practices, and procedures
- Has a “duty of care” to ensure that personnel employed by ATMIS are not exposed to unacceptable risk and that all measures are taken to mitigate risks.
- Supervises and manages the employees of ATMIS about the organisation and performance evaluation.
- Recognizes and rewards good performance by providing job descriptions and performance appraisals, and addresses cases of noncompliance at all levels in the organization.
- Performs other such duties and functions as are necessary or incidental to the proper performance of this position.
- Liaises and coordinates with officials of the host country and other stakeholders on behalf of the SRCC.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Political Science, International relations, Diplomacy, Law, International Law, International Human Rights Law, Human Rights, Economics, Public Administration, Management, Social Sciences, Public Information, Peace and Security Studies, Military Science, Police Science, or any related fields of study, with fourteen (14) years of relevant experience out of which seven (7) years at managerial level and five (5) years at supervisory level.
- Experience in a peace operation and/or in a conflict or postconflict context with knowledge of and strong networks within Government, NGO or similar multilateral institutions, regional or international institution and policymaking.
- Able to initiate and promote collaborative approaches between geographically and culturally disparate partners
- Able to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations both internally and externally
- Able to develop and delegate clear program goals, plans and actions, including budgets, that are consistent with agreed strategies
- Able to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- Strategic Perspective
- Change Management
- Developing Others
- Building relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Drive for Results
- Continuous Improvement Focus
- Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment shall be for an initial period of one (1) year, the first three (3) months of which shall be on probation. It shall be renewable subject to performance and availability of funds.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lumpsum of USD200,505.28 (P6 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and USD149,351.33 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Application Closing Date
29th July, 2023 at 11:59 EAT.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
- The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.