Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Operations Manager
Contract Type: This is a fixed-term contract for the period of 3 months.
Scope of Work
- The Country Operations Manager (COM) will lead in providing operations support to all the programmes and project in the country office including procurement, Administration, IT and Security management.
- The role will also serve as the country safety and security representative.
- S/he will oversee a team that will be responsible for delivery of supplies and services on time at value for money to the projects and ensure that all operational documents and reports are completed in a timely manner and shared and stored to enable effective decision-making. Specifically, the role will line manage the head of the Data Management Centre of MC Nigeria.
- As the head of the Operations function in the Country office, the job holder will ensure compliance with all related MC policies and local legislation and periodically review the function and recommend areas of improvement under the guidance of the Country Director and Global Operations Director.
Key Working Relationships:
- The COM will be a member of the Country Management Team (CMT) and will report to the Country Director / WCAPD. The COM will directly supervise a team of staff including the Procurement Manager, Snr Security Manager, Zonal Admin Manager, Senior Admin Officer and Head of DMC in the country office.
- Indirectly s/he will work with project-based operation staff (both national and state-based) with input into the performance objectives and reviews of these staff. The COM will work with all heads of functions in the MC NG office and programmes/project directors / managers in delivering country strategic objectives.
Project Management / Strategy and Programme (30%):
- Be a member of the Country Management Team (CMT), including the input into the strategy and business development
- With CMT members and Project Directors / Managers, assist in transitioning between operational structures and strategies
- Provide operational input into new proposals and budgets, and support the development of new project procurement plans
- Take the lead in setting up and close-down of all operations functions for MC offices in new states and existing states respectively
- Work with the operations team and other head of functions to agree ways of ensuring compliance with all operations related Malaria Consortium and Donor Policies and practices within Malaria Consortium Nigeria
- Regularly liaise with other heads of functions to ensure mutual feedback leading to overall smooth running of the MC NG offices.
- Build relationships with operations functions related to government and donor stakeholders and use the network to influence the overall project and health systems improvement in operations-related activities.
- Contribute to the overall VFM approach and take the lead in rolling out of operations functions component of VFM framework to ensure oversight and tracking of operations-related indicators and liaise with head of PM functions and PD on how to use this to improve MC NG programs / projects
- Periodically identify areas of efficiency gains and learnings and agree with CD on how to roll-out learnings.
- Lead in reviewing and/or developing new tools and processes to support extraordinary operational undertakings, such as mass distributions
Procurement Management (10%):
- Support the Procurement Manager to develop and manage the country Annual Procurement Strategy by conducting annual demand planning and market assessment exercises to generate the Country Procurement Strategy
- Be the liaison for all international procurements in collaboration with the UK office
- Periodically review the Standard Level Agreements and Framework agreements to ensure their compliance with MC, donor and local guideline and regulations and agree on any changes with the CD and Global Operations Director
- Support the Admin staff to ensure effective inventory and warehouse management, including regular communications with project staff to avoid redundant stock in warehouses and to avoid stockouts in project activities
Safety and Security Management (15%):
- Ensuring that Safety and Security infrastructures are developed, regularly reviewed, and implemented by safety and security focal points at all locations
- Support the Senior Security Manager, PDs and SSFPs to ensure the development of and regularly review and implement Safety and Security Plans, including contingency plans with the aim of updating the Country Director on proposed essential mitigating actions relevant to the organisation.
- Support the Country Director with managing all security-related incidents, including incident reporting, investigation and implementing mitigation actions
- Work with the security and other operations team members to put in place security protocols for all MC NG offices.
Administration and logistics Management (15%):
- Prioritize and manage multiple administrative functions such as office management, scheduling resources, coaching, staff development, internal policy development, etc.
- Ensure the efficient running of all Malaria Consortium offices
- Directly responsible for implementing adherence to all MC operations policies including travel, asset and office management policies and guidelines adhering to MC VFM considerations
- Support Admin officers and Admin Managers to ensure all Malaria Consortium assets/stock/consumables, ensuring they are recorded, monitored, serviced, repaired, and disposed of as per Malaria Consortium policies through efficient oversight management of administrative team members
- Coordinate general MC fleet management services and adherence to MC policies/guidelines through effective supervision of Logistics support personnel and assets
- Ensure the implementation of effective fleet management tools and procedures per MC Policies, including providing management-approved guidelines for use in the operational areas, coordinate specific management protocols, ensuring timely and efficient support to MC operations.
IT Management (15%):
- Support the head of Data Management Centre (DMC) develop and comply with operational guidelines and ensuring all IT equipment and services are provided and utilized in a manner that ensure VFM
- Ensuring effective systems and IT solutions are in place to support the tech and data needs of Malaria Consortium inclusive but not limited to fully functioning ERP systems and security and data management compliant software management
Finance Management (10%):
- Manage the Quarterly Office running budgeting and forecasting for Malaria Consortium NG offices.
- Ensure the forecasting and implementation of operations related budget of MC country office is timely and of quality in collaboration with the PD and PMs and other heads of functions.
- Take the lead in preparation and supporting the management and operations related of all audits.
- Supporting MC projects in the management of operations / running costs budgets for all field locations, employing strategies and periodically assess the control weaknesses of processes and procedures in the operations function workflow and agree improvements with CD and Global Operations Director.
- Periodically review the findings from market survey and other information to engage the CFM on the implications for the resource list and other budget parameters for the MC NG.
HR Management (5%):
- As the head of operations functions in MC NG office, develop performance KPI and continuously lead and mentor a high-performing operations team in the MC NG office both those directly and indirectly line managed.
- Line-manage assigned staff and provides oversight and management support whilst ensuring staff objectives are set and monitored in line with HR guidelines
- Review and input on all operations Job descriptions as MC NG technical lead
- Support the HR in developing learning and development guidelines for operations staff at various levels on the operations organogram leading to efficient capacity-building strategies for all operations team members
Qualifications and Experience
- Educated at a Masters level in relevant discipline
- Professional experience of at least 6 years in senior management role related to operations management
- Demonstrated success as a supply chain leader across all disciplines including planning, procurement, transportation, fleet, warehousing and distribution, within regional or national environment
- Experienced in security and safety management in diverse operating environment including those similar to the North-Eastern part of Nigeria
- Experience in designing, writing and implementing policies and procedures
- Experience working in an International NGO
- Knowledge of global health sector
- Practiced in contract negotiation and management
- Hands on-leader who is a strong motivator
- Strong proficiency with using MS Excel and data analytics
- Up-to-date knowledge of best practices using advanced operational and quality tools
- Good knowledge of major donors’ (USAID, DFID, UNITAID, BMGF, Global Fund, EU) policies and procedures regards to procurement, grant and financial management
Application Closing Date
18th July, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online