Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims. Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Biomed Specialist
Locations: Abuja, Borno, Ebonyi and Kebbi
Employment Type: Full-time
Contract Period: Indefinite
- Carrying out assessments and ensuring the implementation, maintenance and monitoring of the Biomed activities including repairs, maintenance of equipment and planning of biomed orders according to MSF protocols and standards in order to ensure the correct use and efficient functioning of the Biomed equipment of the mission
- Defining procedures and managing the implementation, monitoring, maintenance and correct functioning of the biomedical workshop, including spare parts, technical documentations, tools, etc., including the following tasks:
- Organising and participating in the installation and replacement of the equipment and following up the different maintenance contracts (propose renewal before they expire)
- Identifying the equipment requiring after sale services and ensuring their return in medical services. Performing fault diagnosis, curative and preventive maintenance, annual diagnosis and certification for those items of equipment for which specialised training has been received
- Participating in the assessment of local suppliers and ensuring a good supply of spare parts from them
- Managing inventory of spare parts and back-up equipment at mission level and checking and advising on international orders for consumables and spare parts.
- Managing the biomed technicians at the level of the project and elaborating their activities planning and in close coordination with HR department, planning and supervising the associated processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development and internal communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility
- Acting as a technical referent and providing assistance to project Biomedical Technicians when maintenance work requires further assistance, documentation or additional tools. Taking the lead in organising user training where required
- Ensuring the proper documentation, filing and the compilation of the installation and maintenance done or required as well as defining functioning standards and monitoring systems
- Performing delegated tasks as defined in his/her job description and according to the line manager
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- The biomed mission specialist is part of a technical support team intended to help project teams to reach the minium technical standard, face tehcnical challenges, implement and monitor standrad procedures, tools, protocols, etc… ensuring continuity of activity, safety of people, cost and environmental impact reduction.
The Nigerian mission is running three project nowadays:
- Nutritional and SRH program in Maiduguri
- Nutritional program in Kebbi
- Lassa Fever program in Abakaliki
- This position has a mission overview but is based in Maiduguri (50% of the activity) with field visit capacity to support physically the two other project.
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree – Biomedical Engineer, Electronic, Electricity, IT.
- Desirable – Engineer
- Certificates in technical maintenance of specific medical equipment, management soft skills.
- Demonstrable technical skills and understanding.
- Experience as a biomedical technician. (Minimum of 5 years experience).
- Pedagogical skills are an asset
- Experience in health structures [hospital management functions]
- Proficient in computer skills
- Experience in MSF or in another medical humanitarian NGO
Application Closing Date
20th June, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application (Cover Letter, Resume and copy of relevant Degrees, Certificates and NYSC Certificate / Exemption) to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
- The following vacancy is open to all residents of Nigeria.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.