Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Agriculture and Livestock Program Officer
Requisition Number: AGRIC003829
Location: Gwoza, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Category: Programming
Program / Department Summary
- The Agriculture/ Livestock Program Officer will be based in Gwoza to support the planned agriculture activities in the USAID-BHA funded BEGE program (Broadening Emergency and Graduation Efforts in Borno) in Dikwa, Damboa and Gwoza LGA, Borno State. It is a 24-month program implemented by a consortium led by Mercy Corps and will provide context-specific humanitarian assistance. The Program will deliver a multi-sectoral emergency and recovery package targeting Gwoza, Dikwa and Damboa LGAs. Mercy Corps has an established presence in all LGAs and will be delivering food, WASH, protection, nutrition, shelter/non-food item, and agriculture support over the course of 24 months.
- To complement the nutrition treatment services and food assistance, this program has integrated climate and nutrition-sensitive agriculture that includes the promotion of simple subsistence agriculture and livestock production techniques to improve the availability, access, and consumption of diversified nutritious diets through long-term and sustained approaches. These emphasize the production of arable crops, vegetables, fruits, and animal-source foods which are high in protein and micronutrients.
- The support will include equipping households with tools and skill-building activities to foster year-round production in both rainy and dry seasons using mainly the Permagardening method that uses locally available/easy-to-get resources and small ruminants as well as backyard poultry production promoting the Noiler Chicken.
General Position Summary
- The Agriculture/ Livestock Program Officer is responsible for the day-to-day implementation of Arable Crop Production, backyard permagardening and Livestock production activities. He/ She will work closely with the Senior Agriculture/Livestock officer, Agriculture Coordinator, Nutrition and Food Security team, MEL team, and operations staff (including finance and operations) to ensure that activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision:
- Collaborate with other team members for effective integration between other services like Food assistance, MPCA and Nutrition services.
- Collaborate with Local authorities and other partners to harmonize different efforts for better impact and sustainability.
- Able to learn and update his/ her information or knowledge to adapt to the changing situation and context.
- Train targeted beneficiaries on best agronomy practices, climate-smart agriculture and Livestock production through formal training, on-job mentorship and supportive supervision.
- Identify any gaps or capacity needs within the team and ensure training and capacity building is incorporated into program planning.
- Coordinate and or supervise community mobilization and sensitization activities on agriculture.
- Participate in planned agriculture and food production assessments/ surveys.
- Participate in periodic program monitoring and evaluation activities including baselines, end lines, midterm reviews, lesson learning exercises and compilation of success stories.
- Closely collaborate with other sector teams to ensure an integrated approach internally with MC sectors and externally with complementary activities implemented by other program actors.
- Actively participate in area-level agriculture, food security and livelihood sector meetings.
- Identify, build, and manage collaborative partnerships with communities, local authorities and other stakeholders to create an enabling environment and ownership.
- Ensure timely submission of quality weekly and monthly activity reports.
- Serve as technical focal person for all field-level engagements.
- Identify technical gaps among staff line managed and in liaison with the line manager provide on-the-job training and/ support supervision.
- Participate in developing a detailed project implementation plan and orient the line managed on agreed actions.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
Influence & Representation:
- Train and support Village Agents and Agriculture Extension Workers and make sure they transmit/convey messages clearly to targeted participants.
- Creates and maintains the relationship with local Agriculture, Nutrition and other authorities to link services with the existing LGA structure smoothly,
- Always upholds the image and values of Mercy Corps.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Agriculture / Livelihood Assistants and community-level / field volunteers.
- Reports Directly to: Senior Agriculture and Livestock Officer
- Works Directly with:The program officer will work closely with the Nutrition, Food Security & CASH team, MEL team, and operations staff (including finance and operations).
Knowledge and Experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture or other related field, a relevant master’s degree is a plus.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience focused on agriculture extension including community mobilization, participatory planning, and rural/community development.
- Prior experience implementing agriculture or livestock support programs is essential, preferably in conflict settings.
- Familiarity with the intervention areas.
- Knowledge of Agriculture assessments and or surveys is a plus.
- Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
- excellent analytical, written, and oral communication skills.
- Willing and able to be based within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, including cross-cultural teams.
- Fluency in Hausa, Kanuri, English and or Marghi.
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building.
- S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level.
- Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
- We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- Mercy Corps is an equal-opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity.
- We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC and have signed on to the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times.
- Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Application Closing Date
23rd June, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Applicants should have their CVs and Cover Letters in one document addressing the position requirements.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.