Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Advisor I – Machine Learning
Job Requisition ID: 2023201340
Location: Akwa Ibom
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Technical Advisor 1-Machine Learning will Provide technical guidance on the project for scaling machine learning (ML) in Nigeria including policy development and the delivery of person-centered interventions for new patents.
- Provides final authorization and approval of the technical portions of project interventions, based on the project design and direction set by technical leadership.
- Manage, guide and support other staff members working on the project. Leads project activities and sub activities and assists with project implementation. Ensures project activities are on track with work plans, with technical expertise informing project implementation.
- Oversees project timelines and budgets. Assists in the development of donor reports and presentations. Provides input to developing new proposals for expanding Machine Learning.
- Successfully leads new business development initiatives including project design, budgeting, and recruitment efforts (success is measured in terms of establishment of partnerships, recruitment of teams and overall quality of resulting proposals / initiatives).
- Develop indicators for use by supervisor and to monitoring progress with implementation.
- Provide technical leadership for ML project in Nigeria and elsewhere
- Works on problems of moderate to complex scope that require evaluation of variable factors.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining solutions to issues that affect implementation, with some supervision.
- Networks with key project personnel.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Project Design Implementation:
- With technical oversight from project lead, provide technical leadership in design, development, planning, implementation; and capacity- building of project staff.
- Creates technical portion of the project plan, within the given resource and financial constraints
- Leads the day to day technical and operational activities of the ML project and track delivery of project outputs
- Monitors staff members’ LOE (Level of Effort) needs to ensure adequate coverage of resources
- Coordinates requests from CO (Country Office) for technical assistance
- Leads the design, development, planning, and implementation of global level innovative technical strategies for ML
- Maintains a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff members of implementing partners
- Ensures technical implementation is consistent with best practices in the industry for ML and meet USAID contractual obligations
- Supervise junior technical staff members, sub-contractors, and others implementing technical project work
- Functions at the advisor capacity with oversight of technical project administrative and finance compliance, technical deliverables, and team management. (Includes projects and consultants)
- Develops tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components of the ML learning project
Business Development and Client/Funder Support:
- Collect data for inclusion in proposals
- Assists with proposal research
- Assists with developing proposal strategies Draft proposals, budgets, and work plans
- Develops and maintains relationships with potential clients / funders, partners, peers, etc. to develop new business.
- Participate in business development meetings with partners/clients. Develop strategies to grow the business.
- Participate in client / funder meetings and provide technical input. Draft sponsor reports and presentations.
- Represents the organization and / or Institute to external entities at professional meetings and conferences.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs (non governmental organizations) and consistently maintained and viewed as a knowledgeable resource in their technical area.
- Continually maintains a dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff members of implementing partners.
- Participate in client / funder meetings and draft reports/presentations.
- Daily POC (Point of Contact) with clients for some projects on technical matters.
Capacity Building, Training and Supervision:
- Develops and implements technical training and capacity building interventions. Identifies strategies to address training gaps.
- May supervise or provide technical guidance to staff members locally and in the region.
Operations Management (Finance, HR, etc.):
- Manages the processes, services, planning, organizing, coordinating, and controlling of all technical resources for a project.
- Drafts sponsor financial and technical reports.
- Collates and uploads output and deliverables data to USAID data systems.
- Prepares and delivers presentations to USAID on progress.
- Helps in the development and review of work plans.
- Creates technical content, owning the content, true experts at an advanced level.
- Serves as the primary author for technical deliverables (e.g., reports, presentations, manuscripts).
- Gathers and aggregates data to provide a summary / high level overview.
- Ensures technical deliverables are consistent with best practices in the industry / subject and meet client / funder contractual obligations
- Identifies areas for improved efficiency or effectiveness within prescribed parameters, and institutes enhancements to procedures.
Qualifications and Requirements
- MBBS / MD / PhD or similar degree with 5-7 experience in technical implementation of large projects and/or programs – may manage activities of lower-level staff, however, main function is individual contributor with documented experience providing technical assistance, capacity building and business development in the specific technical domain..
- Or Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences, International Development, Human Development or Related Field. Project Management (PM) Certification preferred, and a minimum of 7-9 years experience in technical implementation of large projects and/or programs – may manage activities of lower-level staff, however, main function is individual contributor.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private organization.
- International or Domestic (US) Program Development or Program management preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ensures appropriate and timely technical support for field projects.
- Ensures the quality of implemented technical activities and systems at all levels.
- Conducts routine coordination with employees and consultants, on-site and in the field.
- Strong knowledge and skills in a specific technical area/function and general understanding of concepts and principles of related technical areas/functions.
- Solid knowledge of standards for the technical area/field, operational processes and procedures, work, and task flow.
- Has the ability to manage projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- Proficient writing and verbal communication skills.
- Relevant computer software skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office).
- Ability to manage their own work to job and performance standards.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English fluent in host country language.
- Travel requirement 10-25%
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Demonstrates the ability to assess needs within agreed upon duties and considers course of action best to meet those needs.
- Effectively applies knowledge of technical area to solve a range of problems.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop solutions to problems that cannot be solved using existing methods or approaches.
- Faulty decisions/ recommendations /failures to complete assignments will normally result in serious delays to assigned projects resulting in considerable expenditure of additional time, resources, and funds.
- Decisions and actions impact primarily workflow, project processes and timeframes.
- Problems encountered are varied, requiring review of practices and precedents to resolve.
- Problem solving involves evaluating and resolving discrepancies with data, analyses, processes, etc. within prescribed guidelines.
- Policies or guidelines exist for most problems; others must be referred to by a supervisor or more senior professional
- May supervise junior staff members.
- Coordinates own workflow and sets individual priorities.
- Works under general guidelines for completion and accuracy as determined by the supervisor.
- Accomplishes results through lower-level staff managers or through experienced staff who exercise independence in their assignments.
- May manage a centralized functional area of activity.
- Serves as mentor to more inexperienced technical staff.
- Typically reports to a Director.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift/move up to 5 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer/Laptop, Microsoft applications (i.e., Office 365, SharePoint, Skype/Zoom/Teams), cell phone/mobile technology, and standard office equipment.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online