Chemonics International is one of the world’s leading partners in international development, because where Chemonics works, development works. From our founding in 1975, we have worked in more than 150 countries to help our clients, partners and beneficiaries take on the world’s toughest challenges. Today, we re-imagine global supply chains to deliver essential medicines to the right place at the right time. Our global network of more than 4,000 specialists share an unwavering resolve to work better, driven by a conviction that the world must be better.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Advisor
Employment Type: Full-time
Duration of Assignment:2 years, with option to renew following successful conclusion of initial 2-year period
- The USAID Lagos Urban Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Activity (LUWASH) is a $44 million Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) activity. LUWASH will increase the availability, quality and use of safe water and sanitation services and improve the governance and sustainable management of associated sector institutions in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Through an integrated, market-based approach, LUWASH will work across the value chain of WASH services to bolster supply and manage demand within a strengthened framework of sector governance, financing, and regulated services.
- The activity aims to catalyze sector transformation and generate WASH service improvements for at least 4 million people in low-income communities and build a foundation for continued progress beyond LUWASH.
- The Security Advisor position is to assist in the development of security protocols for project operations in Nigeria; keeping the LUWASH project team and overall country security platform informed with up-to-date local information that affects security procedures and day-to-day operations.
- Additionally, s/he will be responsible for supporting operations in the field and assisting LUWASH project staff.
- S/he must also be able work with and coordinate with the wider country security team, various stakeholders in country, and the Chemonics Corporate office, while demonstrating sound judgment and a high level of discretion.
- The Security Advisor will report directly to the Chief of Party. The Security Advisor will also conduct check-ins with Chemonics Home Office Security Management Unit (SMU) as necessary.
- The Chemonics SMU will provide overall strategic support to the Chemonics Nigeria security platform and will serve as the key focal point for decisions that impact the entire security platform and in cases of emergency.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the security of LUWASH Operations, including risk assessments, stakeholder engagement, physical security, journey management, staff training, security reporting, emergency preparedness and incident response.
- Monitor the local environment in the areas of operations assigned to the position and recommend to the Chief of Party (COP) changes in security posture when necessary.
- Maintain strategic relationships with key government ministries and the Nigerian security sector, including developing relationships with local security professionals, NGO/IP security managers, and security forces for the purpose of enhancing information gathering capabilities and support networks.
- Maintain a strong relationship with Chemonics Nigeria Country Security Team engaging in regular communications and providing updates pertinent to the overall security situation in Nigeria.
- Provide timely reports to the Chief of Party on developing security situations, incidents, or any special security concerns and issues.
- In accordance with established protocol, disseminate special security guidance and advisories to staff within the position portfolio.
- Contribute expert Lagos Specific local knowledge to routine reports and briefings developed by the Chemonics Nigeria Country Security Team.
- Support travel management plans, including carrying out trip planning for special travel requirements and reviewing and approving staff travel as directed.
- Assist in the management of physical security measures, including at the main office in Lagos, at international staff residences, and at locations where staff are based.
- In coordination with the Chemonics Nigeria Country Security Team, manage project emergency preparedness and emergency response planning.
- Carry out staff training as directed, including security orientations, travel briefings, safety drills, and other special training as determined necessary.
- Participate in meetings with the home office Security Management Unit (SMU), providing updates on programmatic activities and areas of significant risk.
- Perform departmental safety and security audits within stipulated timeframes and implementing recommending corrector actions according to the findings.
- Remain on-call 24-hours a day and 7 days a week to respond to security incidents.
- Assist in the management of any security incidents, including coordinating security response actions and ensuring timely reporting.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Five or more years’ experience in management and oversight of security platforms that were implemented in Nigeria and utilized low-profile techniques.
- Nigerian citizen/resident required.
- Demonstrated ability to generate and leverage network connections in Lagos to promote an accurate and timely understanding of the security context in Nigeria.
- Prior professional experience working in security with NGO or International Development sector work experience preferred.
- Proven expertise in managing response to Nigerian security issues, including current threat environment, security policy, key actors, risk assessment, and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to produce security deliverables and documentation: security risk assessments, site assessments, standard operating procedures, and briefing documents.
- Experience providing security oversight to an international donor program desirable.
- Ability to report to and coordinate with multiple stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Experience in training civilians on safety and security measures.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Advanced IT capabilities with experience in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Fluency in English is required. Additional Lagos relevant languages preferred.
Application Closing Date
21st July, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: LUWASHrecruit@gmail.com using “Security Advisor” as the subject of the mail.
- Chemonics will contact finalists, No telephone inquiries, please.
- Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.