Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Officer – Youth Enterprise and Economic Strengthening
Job Identification: 3000751
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Category: Program Management
- You will support the implementation of economic recovery and market systems (ERMS) programming activities under CRS in THRIVE, based in Maiduguri. This position does not supervise any staff, but you will work directly with participants and participant groups, stakeholders, and consortium partners in the implementation of ERMS sector activities.
- You will work collaboratively as a team member with the other CRS sector leads and MEAL in THRIVE, the Mercy Corps Business development team in THRIVE and under the leadership of Senior Project Officer for Youth enterprises and economic strengthening to plan, sequence, and layer all sector interventions to achieve optimal integration and impact for the poor and vulnerable.
- You will support the planning, coordination, implementation, monitoring, program quality and reporting for economic recovery and market systems activities.
- Your management skills and knowledge will ensure that THRIVE implements high-quality, cost-effective and locally appropriate economic recovery and market systems activities in the target communities of Jere LGA as per the proposal and contribute to program improvements and adaptations.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Develop implementation plans and facilitate implementation of youth enterprise and economic strengthening activities in the five project communities in Jere LGA,
- Coordinate, mobilize and support the formation of project participants into savings and internal lending communities (SILC).
- Coordinate the training capacity assessment and building of the formed SILC groups.
- Actively monitor the performance of the SILC groups while intentionally seeking integration and layering opportunities for the groups for enhanced impact on the livelihood of participating households.
- Coordinate with THRIVE SILC lead implementation staff to ensure harmonized programming approach and experience sharing amongst the SILC groups.
- Coordinate, mobilize and support targeted identification of youths for livelihood support.
- Conduct targeted identification of artisans to support livelihood apprenticeship support for targeted youths.
- Coordinate the training of youths on business development mindset change skills, and eventual linkage of the youths to trained artisans.
- Actively support and engage in the mapping of appropriate livelihood options that the youths can be supported in within Jere LGA
- Coordinate training of select artisans on business development skills, empowering the artisans with skills to enable them to conduct skills transfer apprenticeship to select youths attached to them for up to three months.
- Monitor implementation of youth business grants post-training and apprenticeship.
- Enhance utilization of appropriate systems and tools in the realization of project activities throughout the project cycle and in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Ensure effective planning and integration of economic recovery and market system interventions with THRIVE activities in nutrition and protection, food assistance, and shelter and settlement &WASH.
- Support learning amongst project staff and partner teams. Analyze and evaluate project performance data following MEAL policy. Proactively identify issues and concerns and use participatory processes to overcome implementation obstacles.
- Contribute to project design and proposal development in the respective programming area, gap-filling and taking on growth responsibilities, as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Livelihood and Economic Strengthening -based courses or related. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Minimum of two years of relevant field-based management experience in coordinating similar interventions in North- East Nigeria.
- Two years’ experience in youth vocational training, youth entrepreneurship and SILC group formation & management.
- English and Hausa are essential. Knowledge of one or more of the languages spoken in Maiduguri, such as Kanuri or Shuwa Arabic is an advantage.
- The post is based in Maiduguri and includes 70% travel to field locations in the Jere area of Maiduguri.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in implementing youth enterprise and economic strengthening activities is essential.
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with the ability to make sound judgments.
- Demonstrable capacities in team working and cross-sectoral planning and implementation.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups
- Experience in managing relationships and performance with partner organizations and representing programs to local stakeholders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to write reports and make presentations.
- Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, and information management systems.
- Experience in implementing youth enterprise and economic strengthening activities is desired.
- Program management experience in North- East Nigeria is desirable.
- Experience in implementing emergency agriculture and livelihood programming.
- Experience contributing to the development of technical proposals.
- MEAL skills and experience preferred. Experience using CommCare and Power BI is an advantage.
- Experience of using market-based mechanisms and CVA modalities, including the RedRose platform, for provision of assistance to youth enterprise and economic strengthening activities is desirable,
- Practical hands-on experience working with community savings groups.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: COP, DCOP, Food Security and Livelihood Advisor, Food assistance PM, other THRIVE sector leads, Head of Office, Heads of Administration, Supply Chain, and Finance, Security Coordinator, Admin and Operations staff in Maiduguri and Abuja.
- External : UN, coordination forums, INSO, THRIVE implementing partners, relevant government ministries.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Application Closing Date
1st July, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should: