TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital, and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs, and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Development Manager
Requisition Number: PROGR003599
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Category: Program Development
Travel: This position requires minimal travel
- The primary purpose of this role is to support the Country Director and Project/Program Managers, in identifying funding opportunities; developing, leading and strengthening fundraising strategies and tactics; and responding to major contract/grant opportunities, from bi-lateral, multi-lateral agencies, national governments, private foundations, and the private sector.
Program / Practice / Department Overview
- The Program Development Manager is part of the Nigeria team and will report to the Country Director, working with other team members in TechnoServe.
- The Program Development department of TechnoServe is responsible for fundraising and partnerships, including identifying and pursuing new opportunities relevant to TechnoServe’s global and country-specific strategies within our areas of excellence.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Working with the Country Director to champion the design and implementation of comprehensive fundraising strategies and annual plans with specific targets.
- Primarily supporting but occasionally leading strong TechnoServe relationships with potential donors, stakeholders, and partners.
- Leading and/or supporting opportunity assessments in Nigeria priority/areas of excellence.
- Liaising with public sector funding agencies, institutional foundations, corporations, and other private donors to acquire and maintain an in-depth knowledge of their mission, organization, policies, procedures and key decision-makers.
- Identifying new opportunities that align with TechnoServe’s areas of excellence and TechnoServe Nigeria’s strategy and leading the pursuit of these opportunities in collaboration with the Country Director as well as the regional and global PD teams.
- Managing the proposal writing processes for key opportunities with public/private funding, at the country level
- Developing winning proposals in collaboration with local teams and TNS regional and/or development divisions in coordination with the relevant staff of the project team and program development division,
- Coordinating the review and maintenance of project lead summaries, the new business pipeline, the new business resource prioritization matrix, new business opportunity assessments and other requirements of the new business process.
- Supporting the formulation of project strategies and work plans. In particular:
- Support project implementation and monitoring focusing on the achievement of the project results:
- Ensure high-quality start-up of confirmed new programs.
- In the case of programs which have been confirmed but where there is no on-the-ground capacity to ensure a successful transition from the proposal phase to project implementation, the Program Development Manager will work with the Deputy Country Director and Country teams to ensure high-quality program start-up, potentially engaging as a Mobilization Manager in the program start-up phase.
- Assist the Project Technical Team in the implementation of relevant components as well as monitor activities relating to TechnoServe Nigeria projects.
- Coordinate the timely submission of technical reports by projects and assist with the preparation of charts, graphs, and periodic progress/technical reports.
- Support and facilitate knowledge sharing for training projects that may be conducted by the team’s technical experts or outsourced as the case may be.
- Support the sustainability strategy of existing projects at the close out phase by working with project managers to secure a follow on of the project.
- Working with the project teams, assist with the synthesis of lessons learned and creating a database on the same and best practices across projects.
- Any other tasks that may be assigned.
The following qualifications are required for the role:
- A minimum of an Undergraduate Degree (B.Sc) in Social Sciences, Business Management, Agriculture, Economics or a relevant field with 7 years’ experience in Program Development and writing successful proposals or a Masters’ degree with 5 years’ experience in a relevant field is desirable.
Additional qualifications that are desirable are:
- Experience working in Nigeria or West Africa.
- At least 2 years’ experience working with institutional, bilateral, multilateral donors and foundations is required.
- Experience supporting project management and providing support to projects.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience working in the agriculture and food systems is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The successful candidate should have:
- Excellent writing skills
- Good communication skills, including the ability to express himself or herself clearly and communicate effectively with colleagues and partners.
- Good initiative and follow-through.
- The ability to work in teams and collaborate with others.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe’s vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
- With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
- We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.