WaterAid is an international not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping people break free from poverty and disease, unlock their potential and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. WaterAid started its operation in Nigeria in 1995. Since then it has successfully executed several intervention programmes as outlined by its objectives and has made impact in the lives of the very poor. WaterAid with the country office in Abuja currently works in Bauchi, Enugu and Plateau States with funding from various donors and partners.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Reporting (PMER) Manager
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Duration: 2 years (renewable)
Reports to: Head of SPEL
Manages: M&E Officers
Travel: Potential travel to be determined as work demands.
- WaterAid Nigeria has recently completed its 2022-2027 country program strategy which sets a 5-year building block towards delivering a more influencing-led program over a 10-year horizon.
- This new country strategy, rather than reflecting a progression from previous country program strategies, outlines key shifts in focus required to catalyze change and achieve maximum impact for our work in Nigeria.
- The primary purpose of this role is to support the implementation of WaterAid Nigeria’s country strategy by ensuring that all activities are properly included in realistic and achievable annual plans and to lead on the effective monitoring of progress of program implementation against objectives.
- The PME Manager will work in strong collaboration with program team colleagues to ensure timely and accurate project monitoring and evaluation, quality assurance of programs, learning, and reporting.
- The role will work with program team colleagues to develop and support the ongoing planning cycle (monthly, quarterly, and annual), Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) systems, provide management information to support effective decision-making, and support partners with effective planning, monitoring & evaluation systems, processes and practices. This position will ensure strong links between CP-wide Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation and Reporting approaches link with global M&E processes.
Planning and Coordination:
- Working with the Coordinator Planning, Strategy & Reporting, support WaterAid Nigeria’s Senior Management Team (SMT) in the development and implementation of Country Programme plans and budgets in line with the overall strategy.
- Support Directors & Coordinators in the development and implementation of annual plans in line with budgets and program strategy.
- Provide strategic support in managing the implementation process in the CP.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Lead the conduct of periodic Post Implementation Monitoring Surveys (PIMS).
- Supervise regular data collection through implementing partners and ensure the quality of the data by random verifications and validations.
- Provide technical and operational guidance/capacity strengthening to partner organizations on field monitoring, survey activities, and database management in connection with WaterAid-supported projects and programs.
- Support colleagues, implementing partners, and sector actors in setting performance standards and developing systems, templates, tools, and other support material to facilitate performance monitoring, planning, research, and outcome evaluation for the WASH sector and the effective and timely information flow between country, regional, and global levels to increase efficiency and reduce ad-hoc information requests.
- Conduct baseline surveys/evaluations and surveys, including engaging with consultants on analyses of results and quality of reports where required.
- Record, manage, and preserve monitoring and evaluation data in a safe and accessible way.
- Proactively identify and implement improvements to monitoring & evaluation systems and processes.
- Coordinate the preparation and submission of all Country Programme reports, the annual output verification exercise, and the impact assessment at the end of the program cycle in close collaboration with the Programmes Directorate. Contribute to other reports as required.
- Proactively monitor the CP’s Country Strategy and operational plan to promote the review and achievement of the CP strategic objectives.
- Promote and monitor the mainstreaming of inclusion in WaterAid’s Country Programme.
Learning & Capacity Building:
- Generate organizational learning from monitoring and evaluation activities, document lessons learned/case studies, and share organizational learning with potential audiences and users – both internal and external – to promote and replicate best practices across the organization and sector.
- Act as a super-user of the M&E software and its application; support its development, aligning it with global systems and core procedures. Ensure colleagues are trained and competent in its use, providing advice and support to others.
- Contribute to effective learning and knowledge management in line with WaterAid’s overall approach.
- Support the delivery of the country’s strategic objective on research, learning, and documentation.
- Participate in, support, or lead relevant capacity-building initiatives and workshops on PM&E targeting implementing partners.
- University Degree in Development Studies, Public Health, Statistics, or other relevant field.
- 5 years of post-NYSC experience in planning, monitoring, and evaluation, preferably in an NGO setting. Experience in an international research or development organization may also be considered.
- Good understanding of project planning cycle and management cycles.
- Strong Excel, and Microsoft ACCESS/IT skills.
- Strong knowledge in the development and use of software and database applications for program monitoring and learning.
- Experience with conducting data quality assurance and reviewing indicators for projects.
- Good knowledge of data collection methodologies, tools, and processes.
- Experience in using quantitative and qualitative tools for carrying out monitoring and evaluation projects.
- Skilled in analysis. Able to analyze information and make sound conclusions and decisions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to communicate complex information clearly to others and produce impactful reports and presentations.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Able to build relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, negotiate, and influence across teams in order to achieve the best outcome.
- Proactive approach. Identifies issues and challenges and seeks to resolve them in a timely manner.
- Strong planning and organizational skills. Driven to meet deadlines.
- Experience of building the capacity of others and facilitating learning in relation to planning, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these.
- Master’s Degree in Development Management or related area.
- Training in statistics and/or planning.
- Strong hands-on development project design and management experience.
- Understanding and experience of designing research projects to support monitoring, evaluation, and learning.
- Knowledge/experience in knowledge management systems.
- Experience in community-based development.
- Experience of M&E in the water, sanitation & hygiene (WASH) sector.
Ways of Working:
- The ideal candidate will need to be inclusive and embrace our values of Respect, Accountability, Courage, Collaboration, Integrity and Innovation.
Application Closing Date
20th July, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online