MÃ©decins Sans FrontiÃ¨res (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. Our actions are guided by medical ethics and the principles of neutrality and impartiality. A worldwide movement MSF was founded in Paris, France in 1971. Its principles are described in the organisation’s founding charter. It is a non-profit, self-governed organisation. Today, MSF is a worldwide movement of 24 associations, bound together as MSF International, based in Switzerland. Thousands of health professionals, logistical and administrative staff – most of whom are hired locally – work on programmes in some 70 countries worldwide. Humanitarian action MSF’s work is based on humanitarian principles. We are committed to bringing quality medical care to people caught in crisis, regardless of race, religion or political affiliation. MSF operates independently. We conduct our own evaluations on the ground to determine people’s needs. More than 90 per cent of our overall funding comes from millions of private sources, not governments. MSF is neutral. We do not take sides in armed conflicts, we provide care on the basis of need, and we push for independent access to victims of conflict as required under international humanitarian law. Bearing witness and speaking out MSF medical teams often witness violence and neglect in the course of their work, largely in regions that receive scant international attention. At times, MSF may speak out publicly in an effort to bring a forgotten crisis to public attention, to alert the public to abuses occurring beyond the headlines, to criticise the inadequacies of the aid system, or to challenge the diversion of humanitarian aid for political interests. Quality medical care MSF rejects the idea that poor people deserve third-rate medical care and strives to provide high-quality care to patients. In 1999, when MSF was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, the organisation announced the money would go towards raising awareness of and fighting against neglected diseases. Through the Access Campaign, and in partnership with the Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative, this work has helped lower the price of HIV/AIDS treatment and stimulated research and development for medicines to treat malaria and neglected diseases like sleeping sickness and kala azar.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 2 years
- Location: Zamfara
- Job Field: Medical / Healthcare
Main objective and responsibility of the position
- Implementing and supervising an infection control program in a project or health facility, according to MSF protocols, safety and IPC measures, in order to ensure quality of care and safety of patients, caretakers and staff
- In collaboration with each service activity manager, maintaining and supporting the day to day implementation of the standard precautions in health structures in all departments including sterilization, laundry and kitchen, and providing technical supervision, training and support to the staff on IPC related issues using existing tools such as audits, checklist, surveillance
- Implementing and monitoring adherence to additional precautions for air, droplet and contact transmissible diseases when indicated. Based on a given patient-diagnosis, evaluating the need and supporting the implementation, if needed, for additional precautions in collaboration with the medical team and act accordingly
- Implementing as planned, the correct ‘clean and dirty flows’ inside the health facility. Ensuring that environmental standards in the facility are respected (bed spacing, number of handwashing stations etc.) and together with the Hospital Facilities Manager and WHS Supervisor, that the essential requirements are available in the health structures
- Guaranteeing compliance to aseptic care techniques and to the correct use of antiseptics, disinfectants and detergents.
- Checking the consumption and the quality of IPC materials and equipment, including cleaning materials and equipment, PPE, etc.
- As member of the Infection Control Committee, participating in and supporting the development and following up the Infection Control Action Plan.
- Supervising the team under his/her responsibility and participating in the associated HR processes (e.g. recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, coaching, development and communication) in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required.
- Reporting any irregularities to NAM or IPC managers or PMR and producing reports with information recommendations for the monthly medical reporting
Note: IPC standard precautions include Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), hand hygiene, prevention of accidental exposure to body fluids, safe and appropriate treatment of re-usable medical devices, waste management, cleaning and disinfection of surface and environment, respiratory hygiene and individual hygiene for staff, caretakers and patients IPC essential requirements include water supply, solid waste and waste water treatment/disposal, latrines and shower facilities, dead bodies management, vector control and medical waste management
MSF Section / Context-Specific Accountabilities
- The IPC Supervisor in Zamfara Project is the main responsible for the implementation of all IPC related activities, protocols and different recommendations to ensure quality of care and patient safety in MSF Health Facilities including Anka General Hospital NEP IDP clinic and Talata Mafara ITFC ward . The IPC Supervisor works closely with all multidisciplinary team members to raise awareness and ensure IPC issues are identified and addressed by all staff members.
- As a member of the Infection Control Committee, participating in and supporting the development and follow up of the Infection Control Action Plan and other communication activities are key (may support MTL with minutes/agenda/action points, also may chair the meeting in absence of MTL)
Liaison with all Managers/Supervisors and Balanced Leadership and Communication Skills:
- In collaboration with WatSan team, ensure maintenance of a clean and hygienic environment.
- In conjunction with Supervisors/Managers, carry out training of all staff (Medical, Lab, Hygiene Agents, Watchmen etc.) on relevant IPC information – IPC Pillars and aseptic technique.
- In collaboration with ITFC Matron in Talata Mafara ensure IPC protocal and policy are in place in the ward, milk kitchen and in the waste zone.
- In Conjunction with WatSan focal person and Nursing Team Supervisor ensure waste segregation at the source and subsequent collection in different wards and keep high hygiene standard.
- Under leadership of Nursing Activity Manager and Pharmacy Supervisor ensure ordering, storage and management of IPC materials (hand sanitizers, surfanios and hexanios, chloramine solutions, face masks, disposable gowns etc) for daily usage.
Supervision & Policy /Protocol Implementation:
- Supervise, coach and support hygiene agents working in the Hospital (APW) and IDP through duty allocation, making roster, leave plan and perform yearly performance evaluation.
- Provide technical support to the Laundry team by ensuring clean and adequate bed linen are in circulation.
- Ensure vector control in the hospital wards and other departments(use of light insecticide etc).
- Supervise and support IRS and deep cleaning in the various wards.
- Reinforce the implementation of the standard precaution in all departments ie. Use of PPE, hand gloves, prevention of needle stick injuries.
- Ensure safe and appropriate treatment of re-usable medical devices(cleaning ,basic disinfection,high disinfection or sterilization.
- Organise and lead regular IPC meetings in the hospital and report on the results, challenges and action plan.
- Policy management of IPC activities in all locations and work in conjunction with all heads of departments to ensure and supervise implementation of IPC policy and protocols.
- Supervises directly the Sterilization Technician and ensure small surgical materials are safe for patients, sterilization procedures follow IPC protocols, and provide necessary training.
- Ensure compliance of the 3 IPC pillars (Hand hygiene, Cleaning and Disinfection, transmission based precaution) in MSF health facilities including Anka General Hospital and IDP Clinic.
- Be responsible for monitoring of hand hygiene compliance using the hand hygiene observation tool (HHOT) and monthly updating of results and communicate the score to the team.
- Carry out SIPCA assessment with support from line manager and subsequent writing of action plan after the SIPCA score.
- Report IPC activities in the MMR
- MSFAT assessment.
- Gap fill WatSan focal person in case of absence.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Specialty: Nursing / Midwifery Degree or Diploma essential.
- Essential 2 years of previous experience having worked in MSF or other NGO and in developing countries is desirable.
- Mission and local language essential.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet).
- Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation, Behavioural Flexibility, Commitment to MSF Principles, Service and Orientation and Stress Management.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Submit their CV, Cover Letter, Licenses and necessary credentials only to this email: firstname.lastname@example.org using the job title i.e “Infection Prevention & Control (IPC) Supervisor” as the subject of the mail.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates would be contacted.
- Any documents sent to MSF-OCA (CV, cover letter, copies of diploma, recommendations letters) will not be returned by MSF-OCA.
- No Transportation and Allowance will be provided during the recruitment process.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization.