Norwegian Church Aid (NCA) is one of the largest aid organisations in the Nordic region. We are there in disasters and emergencies to provide water and critical assistance to those affected. Together with our international network and partner organisations in the ACT Alliance, we can reach millions of people each year and help make a positive difference around the world. We are determined to work towards eradicating injustice, and we therefore work passionately with advocacy, long-term development in local communities and providing emergency assistance. As we see more and more people impacted by disasters, we now have an even stronger focus on providing more people with emergency relief and access to clean water. We believe that people in need must be helped, and we will not stop fighting for a just world. NCA has been operational in North-eastern part of Nigeria providing humanitarian relief assistance with strong presence in Monguno, Maiduguri, Pulka, Shani, Bada and Dikwa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Part-time
Reporting To: Finance Officer
Time Frame: 6 months (with possibility of extension)
- The Finance Assistant will be based in Maiduguri and will provide all necessary financial assistance to programs and operations.
- S/he will maintain cash register, make cash disbursements and reconciliations, prepare cash projections and requests. S/he will also be responsible for financial file archiving. Performs partners’ review and verification
Job Roles & Responsibilities
- Accounting and Finance Management:
- Conducts Daily, weekly, and month-end cash counts.
- Prepares bank instructions and cash payments.
- Prepares monthly vouchers.
- Complete the monthly closing process of the cash/bank accounts after validation of the Finance Officer.
- Ensure all documents are filed and stamped.
- Ensure that all vouchers are scanned and uploaded into the NCA Share file for Supervisor review and internal audit purposes.
- Maintain proper filing and easy retrieval of finance documentation.
- Ad hoc finance duties that may be assigned from time by supervisors.
- Maintain frequent communication with Finance Officer to ensure finance activities and objectives are communicated.
- Work with program and other operation staff to ensure the coordination of payments are met on time.
- Ensures application and compliance with security protocols and policies.
- Facilitates emergency and non-emergency security expenditures.
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within NCA and amongst beneficiariesserved by NCA.
Additional Job Responsibilities
- The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the Post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Qualifications & Experience
- A University Degree or HND in Accounting or related field required. Professional certifications such as a fully
- qualified/almost qualified member of ICAN or other qualification recognized by IFAC is an added advantage.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in INGO
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal and organization skills.
- Can function effectively in a loosely structured work environment and set appropriate priorities and deal effectively
- with numerous simultaneous requirements.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage workload effectively and efficiently to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a participatory manner with staff to assess needs, implement and monitor activities.
- Ability to integrate and work well within a multi-ethnic and multicultural team.
- Proficiency with MS Word and Excel.
- Fluent English in written and oral.
- Familiarity with Nigerian law enforcement systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
NCA is committed to following the following policies, standards and commitments and all staff are equally expected to conform to their requirements:
- Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP)
- Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in
- Disaster Relief
- ACT Alliance Code of Conduct
- SPHERE Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Relief
- NCA Nigeria Security Plan
- NCA Nigeria Staff Handbook
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Norwegian Church Aid and amongst
- beneficiaries served by Norwegian Church Aid.
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics within Norwegian Church Aid.
- As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Norwegian Church Aid’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
- Experience in working within a relatively large team.
- Ability to carry-out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support from within the organization.
- Experience in enforcing the compliance of internal control procedures and policies relating to different departments and activities.
Application Closing Date
10th September, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a copy of their CV to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- That applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply early.
- We value your interest and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Please note that only qualified candidates will benvited for the next phases of this recruitment.