The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN) – An intergovernmental organization, FAO has 194 Member Nations, two associate members and one member organization, the European Union. Its employees come from various cultural backgrounds and are experts in the multiple fields of activity FAO engages in. FAO’s staff capacity allows it to support improved governance inter alia, generate, develop and adapt existing tools and guidelines and provide targeted governance support as a resource to country and regional level FAO offices. Headquartered in Rome, Italy, FAO is present in over 130 countries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Programme Coordinator
Vacancy Announcement: 2301805
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Duration: 6 months
Organizational Unit: FRNIR – FAO Representation in Nigeria
- The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes, and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner to ensure zero hunger in the country.
- FAO provides support in three priority areas: sustainable increase in production and productivity, agriculture-based economic growth, and increased resilience of livelihoods to threats and crisis.
- The current portfolio of projects in Nigeria includes activities related to agriculture (crop), livestock, Fisheries, Natural Resource management and Food Security Information Management and Analysis.
- The incumbent will contribute to the country’s programme and portfolio as foreseen in the project he/she will coordinate and be assigned.
- The Field Programme Coordinator will report to the FAO Representative (FAOR) under the direct supervision of the Head of Office of the FAO Northeast office and in close collaboration with the emergency and resilience programme specialist/area coordinator and FAO emergency operations specialist.
- Contribute to FAO Nigeria efforts in designing and implementation of emergency agricultural and resilience sensitive programme.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support the coordination and implementation of FAO emergency and resilience operations related to agriculture, livestock, agribusiness, safe access to fuel and energy, aquaculture and fisheries, gender, protection and natural resource management and other areas of FAO’s mandate across the target Northeast and Northwest States of Nigeria.
- Strengthen partnership with state government line MDAs (Ministries, Departments and Agencies) and other non- governmental partners including UN Agencies, International NGO, National NGO, etc to reinforce synergies between key stakeholders to ensure coordinated and effective implementation of FAO agricultural-based livelihood interventions.
- Provide technical guidance/recommendations of approaches/strategies to improve livelihoods and strengthen resilience to shocks.
- Contribute to resource mobilization efforts of Country Office including participation in development of concepts notes and proposals.
- Provide regular field project updates including monitoring and evaluation, knowledge generation to the Emergency and Resilience Specialist and /or Area Coordinator
- Contribute to progress, and terminal reports for submission to donors and stakeholders.
- Support the collection and analysis of information on food security and livelihoods in the NE of Nigeria for development and implementation of response plans across the target states including relevant support to state level cells in the planning and organisation of food security situation analysis through cadre Harmonize and other seasonal monitoring of shocks.
- Support interagency coordination including participation in and contribution to coordination of the Food Security Sector working groups and other state level donor partner and government engagement on food security and related platforms.
- Support the development and review of Letters of Agreement for the engagement of field implementing partners.
- Assist with periodic monitoring and assessment of the quality of implementing partners performance and compliance to FAO policies and humanitarian principles.
- Support the monitoring of the implementation of projects across all programme components in collaboration with FAO MEAL team and contribute to the performance monitoring and plan strategy for the field programme implementation.
- Work closely with local and international NGOs and state agencies to undertake or initiate collaboration.
- Work directly with State Emergency Management Agency and relevant state ministries and agencies and liaise with partners (NGOs, UN and Federal Agencies, communities, and other stakeholders) for effective and successful implementation of project activities.
- Perform other duties as required.
Candidates will be Assessed Against the Following
- Postgraduate Degree in Development Studies, Agricultural Science, Economics, and other related fields.
- At least 8 years of progressive experience in designing, coordination and implementation of emergency agricultural and resilience sensitive programme is mandatory.
- Working knowledge of English.
- National of Nigeria.
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
Technical / Functional Skills:
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work.
- Extent and relevance of experience in working in humanitarian context in the field of agriculture and with deep understanding emergency agriculture concepts and programming.
- Extent and relevance of experience in working with communities and diverse stakeholders in conflict affected areas.
- Familiarity and proven experience in project management and development.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Excellent computer skills, communication, writing and presentation skills.
- Readiness to carry out visits to project sites and duty travel as required.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in emergency situations with tight deadlines.
- Excellent team-building and cross-cultural skills.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the on-going emerging policy issues in the areas of Agriculture, Food Security, Rural Development, Poverty Eradication, and social protection.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and experience in working with a wide range of individuals at high levels in government, private sector, and civil society.
- Experience of working with the government counterparts, national or international financial institutions, private sector/ civil society in the field of economic and social development in Nigeria.
- Relevant experience working in humanitarian context in the field of agriculture and development programme with relevant knowledge and experience in field projects management, stakeholder engagement and partnership development is desirable.
- A sound knowledge/experience in working with communities and diverse stakeholders in conflict affected areas. Good and proven experience in community development and mobilization is an advantage.
Application Closing Date
7th July, 2023 (10:59:00 PM).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
- All candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.