Achieving food security for all is at the heart of FAO’s efforts – to make sure people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives. Our three main goals are: the eradication of hunger, food insecurity and malnutrition; the elimination of poverty and the driving forward of economic and social progress for all; and, the sustainable management and utilization of natural resources, including land, water, air, climate and genetic resources for the benefit of present and future generations.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience: 8 years
- Location: Yobe
- Job Field: NGO/Non-Profit , Project Management
Tasks And Responsibilities
- Support the coordination and implementation of FAO emergency and resilience operations related to agriculture, livestock, agribusiness, safe access to fuel and energy, aquaculture and fisheries, gender, protection and natural resource management and other areas of FAO’s mandate across the target Northeast and Northwest States of Nigeria.
- Strengthen partnership with state government line MDAs (Ministries, Departments and Agencies) and other non- governmental partners including UN Agencies, International NGO, National NGO, etc to reinforce synergies between key stakeholders to ensure coordinated and effective implementation of FAO agricultural-based livelihood interventions.
- Provide technical guidance/recommendations of approaches/strategies to improve livelihoods and strengthen resilience to shocks.
- Contribute to resource mobilization efforts of Country Office including participation in development of concepts notes and proposals.
- Provide regular field project updates including monitoring and evaluation, knowledge generation to the Emergency and Resilience Specialist and /or Area Coordinator
- Contribute to progress, and terminal reports for submission to donors and stakeholders.
- Support the collection and analysis of information on food security and livelihoods in the NE of Nigeria for development and implementation of response plans across the target states including relevant support to state level cells in the planning and organisation of food security situation analysis through cadre Harmonize and other seasonal monitoring of shocks.
- Support interagency coordination including participation in and contribution to coordination of the Food Security Sector working groups and other state level donor partner and government engagement on food security and related platforms.
- Support the development and review of Letters of Agreement for the engagement of field implementing partners.
- Assist with periodic monitoring and assessment of the quality of implementing partners performance and compliance to FAO policies and humanitarian principles.
- Support the monitoring of the implementation of projects across all programme components in collaboration with FAO MEAL team and contribute to the performance monitoring and plan strategy for the field programme implementation.
- Work closely with local and international NGOs and state agencies to undertake or initiate collaboration.
- Work directly with State Emergency Management Agency and relevant state ministries and agencies and liaise with partners (NGOs, UN and Federal Agencies, communities, and other stakeholders) for effective and successful implementation of project activities.
- Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Postgraduate degree in development studies, agricultural science, economics, and other related fields.
- At least 8 years of progressive experience in designing, coordination and implementation of emergency agricultural and resilience sensitive programme is mandatory.
- Working knowledge of English.
- National of Nigeria.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work.
- Extent and relevance of experience in working in humanitarian context in the field of agriculture and with deep understanding emergency agriculture concepts and programming.
- Extent and relevance of experience in working with communities and diverse stakeholders in conflict affected areas.
- Familiarity and proven experience in project management and development.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Excellent computer skills, communication, writing and presentation skills.
- Readiness to carry out visits to project sites and duty travel as required.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in emergency situations with tight deadlines.
- Excellent team-building and cross-cultural skills.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the on-going emerging policy issues in the areas of Agriculture, Food Security, Rural Development, Poverty Eradication, and social protection.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and experience in working with a wide range of individuals at high levels in government, private sector, and civil society.
- Experience of working with the government counterparts, national or international financial institutions, private sector/ civil society in the field of economic and social development in Nigeria.
- Relevant experience working in humanitarian context in the field of agriculture and development programme with relevant knowledge and experience in field projects management, stakeholder engagement and partnership development is desirable.
- A sound knowledge/experience in working with communities and diverse stakeholders in conflict affected areas. Good and proven experience in community development and mobilization is an advantage.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.