African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: EOI – Natural Resources Economist – ANRC
Location: Home based
Consultant Type: Individual Consultant
Duration: The assignment will be for a duration of six (6) months.
Job Family: Other
- The role of the African Natural Resources Management and Investment Centre(ANRC) is to support the Bank’s Regional Member Countries (RMCs) improve development outcomes through effective management of natural resources wealth by delivering practical solutions on policy, legislative and investment decisions in the sector.
The Centre’s Policy Analysis Division provides a systemic, integrated lens on the management of renewable and non-renewable natural resources for sustainable development.
The services to be provided by the Consultant under the supervision of the Manager, Policy Analysis Division of the ANRC, include support on knowledge generation, policy analysis and advisory, capacity building and knowledge dissemination.
- The Centre invites individual consultants to express their interest in the position of Consultant/Natural Resources Economist. Interested candidates shall provide information on their qualifications and experience demonstrating their ability to undertake the Assignment (documents, reference to similar services, experience in similar assignments, etc.).
- The AfDB Ten-Year Strategy and the High 5s identify natural resources as critical factor in the transition to green growth in Africa. In response to the challenges facing the sustainable management of African natural resources, the AfDB created the African Natural Resources Management and Investment Centre (ANRC)in 2013, housed in the Chief Economist / Economic Governance and Knowledge Management Complex (ECVP).
- The Centre provides advisory services and technical assistance to the Bank’s Regional Member Countries (RMCs)to harness their natural resources for sustainable development.
- The scope combines renewable (water, forestry, land and fishery) and non-renewable (oil, gas and minerals) resources.
- The Centre’s Policy Analysis Division provides a systemic, integrated lens on the management of renewable and non-renewable natural resources for sustainable development.
- This is achieved through high-quality research and policy analysis, policy advocacy and knowledge dissemination, technical assistance, and capacity building for the Bank’s RMCs in the following thematic areas: natural resource economics, natural resource conservation, natural resource planning and natural resource governance.
Description of the assignment
- In order to bolster the Policy Analysis Division during a period of staff transition, ANRC is seeking a Natural Resource Economist/Consultant to support its work streams on knowledge building, policy advisory and capacity building, as well as providing cross-cutting advice on economic policies to enhance natural resource management and investment in the AfDB’s Regional Member Countries.
Duration of assignment:
- The assignment will be for a duration of six (6) months.
Under the overall supervision of the Division Manager, Policy Analysis, ANRC, the consultant’s taskswill specifically include:
- Provision of technical support on natural resource economics, as well as policy advisory on the design and implementation of macroeconomic policies in support of sound natural resource management.
- Supporting the production of knowledge and advisory products on natural resources policies, investments and guidelines for the Bank’s RMCs;
- Contributing to the drafting of analytical reports, policy briefs and discussion papers on various themes in natural resources economics, management and investment;
- Supporting the design, administration and implementation of projects and programmes by the Division;
- Supporting the Division’s partnership activities for joint programmes and projects with external partners through the coordination of knowledge, technical inputs and policy advice on various themes in natural resources economics, management and investment.
- Providing internal advice to the Division and Centre to strengthen the economic policy and analytical content of knowledge products;
- Participating in ANRC’s knowledge dissemination agenda, in particular by contributing to the organisation of policy dialogue and advocacy activities;
- Supporting the Division’s resource mobilisation efforts by contributing to the design of funding proposals that enhance the investment climate for natural resources projects and good governance of natural resources;
- To support the ANRC’ role ininformingBank’s operations related to natural resources, providing technical inputs into natural resources-related operations and the preparation of strategic briefs and documents.
- Other administrative duties as designated by the Division Manager.
Key Competencies (skills, experience and knowledge)
The required competencies for the assignment are:
- Master’s Degree in Economics, International Development, Natural Resource Management, Law, Public Policy, and related disciplines.
- A PhD is an advantage.
- 2-6 years of relevant experience in policy analysis and research, with a specific focus on natural resource economics and/or natural resource management, accumulated in public or private policy institutions, research institutes, academia and think tank.
- A track record in providing knowledge and advisory services on natural resource management; experience in assessment and appraisal of natural resource projects (whether public or private) is an advantage;
- Strong knowledge of economic policy issues in Africa’s natural resources sector, and a good knowledge of environmental and social dimensions of natural resources management;
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills in the use of data and statistics for policy analysis in the natural resources sector.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of standard statistical and econometric software for research and analysis.
- Proven skillsin drafting high-quality analytical reports, ideally through a track-record of academic and policy research;
- A track record in providing policy analysis and advice in the area of natural resource management; experience in the assessment and appraisal of natural resource projects (whether public or private) is an advantage.
- Private sector experience is an advantage.
- Self-starter and critical thinker willing to learn and adapt new approaches to enhance the ANRC’s work on natural resources management in Africa.
- Good communication skills in English and/or French, with working knowledge of the other language;
- Experience of working with multilateral and bilateral donors and other development organizations, with direct experience of working with the African Development Bank an advantage;
- Experience in facilitating missions, meetings and workshops would be an added advantage.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Experience in the use of SAP is an advantage.
Application Closing Date
15th June, 2023, by 23:00 Hours Abidjan local time.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expressions of Interest to the attention of: Mr. Arthur Jean-Claude BAINGUIE, A.BAINGUIE@AFDB.ORG with a copy to Ms. Maali HARRATHI, M.HARRATHI@AFDB.ORG specifically mentioning “Expression of Interest: Individual Consultant – Natural Resources Economist” as the subject of the mail.
- The eligibility criteria, the establishment of a shortlist and the selection procedure shall be in conformity with the AfDB’s Procurement Policy for Recruitment of individual Consultants
- The assignment is home-based due to the Bank’s post-COVID-19 Return to Office procedures. The assignment may require travelling in Africa and elsewhere.
- Please note that interest expressed by a consultant does not imply any obligation on the part of the Bank to include the consultant in the shortlist. The estimated duration of the Consulting Services is 6 calendar months and the estimated starting date is June 2023.
- Interested consultants may obtain further information at the following addresses during the Bank’s working hours: 08:00 –17:00. Mr.Arthur Jean-Claude BAINGUIE, A.BAINGUIE@AFDB.ORG with a copy toMs Maali HARRATHI, M.HARRATHI@AFDB.ORG and Mr.Innocent ONAH, I.ONAH@AFDB.ORG