Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters. For 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Disaster Risk Reduction, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
COOPI started its operations in North-East Nigeria in July 2014 to carry out a rapid evaluation of the most relevant constraints suffered by the Internally Displaced People (IDPs) displaced by the food crisis and the Boko Haram insurgency in the Lake Chad Basin. The COOPI Nigeria Field Office is located in Sokoto State, in order to cover intervention LGAs in Sokoto State and to provide direct assistance to the IDPs and their hosting communities, through a multi-sectorial program covering Food Security, Disaster Risk Reduction, Social protection, Early Recovery, and Livelihoods, Nutrition and Child Protection interventions. COOPI’s capacity to respond to the humanitarian situation in the country is confirmed by its experience in providing humanitarian aid in more than 27 other Countries around the World, in over 50 years of operations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Community Support Worker / Psychological Animator
Locations: Rabah and Goronyo, Sokoto
Employment Type: Full-time
Slots: 6 Openings
Scope of the Vacancy
- The Community Support Worker/Psychosocial Support (PSS) Animator will be responsible for the implementation of the Child Protection and psychosocial Support activities in targeted LGAs- Rabah and Goronyo of Sokoto State.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Psychosocial Counselor and Protection Coordinator, he/she:
- Support the PSS Counselor and outreach team (case workers and case worker supervisor) in mapping and assessing children to attend PSS activities.
- Register and enroll children in psychosocial support activities
- Work directly with children, carrying out psychosocial activities.
- Plan, organize and run activities with children while facilitate and encourage the participation of all children
- Work in compliance with and respect of the principles of Child Protection and confidentiality, working with IDPs and host communities with sensitivity.
- Carry out awareness sessions on child rights in the community, IDPs camps, primary schools, Child Friendly Spaces, Youth Clubs.
- Facilitate peer and groups support.
- Conduct life skills and art therapy training for teenagers (Adolescent and Youth 13 to 18 Years).
- Conduct parent-child communication sessions with parents and teachers.
- Plan, organize and run activities with children while facilitate and encourage the participation of all registered children.
- Deal with difficult behavior (conflict, aggressiveness, power drunk and introversion) and understand the reason behind the behavior to positively communicate with the situation.
- Ensure that children under his / her Responsibility are not exposed to any form of harm or stress during the activities.
- Put in place protection / child protection activities with children and adult according to the workplan
- Organizes recreational activities and community events to promote access to education and child’s rights Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills), with a special focus on IDP children.
- Performs any other necessary action related to the position to achieve the objectives of the project and of COOPI in Nigeria if requested by the Team Leader.
- Upholds COOPI’s mission and Charter of Values.
- Follows and enforces all COOPI codes of conduct and policies (globally and in-country).
- Perform any other action related with the position needed to achieve the objectives of the projects and of COOPI Nigeria if requested by his/her supervisor.
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills):
- Education Degree: University Degree or Diploma in Social Work, Social Studies, Psychology, Education or any other related discipline.
- At least two (2) years of professional experience in the support of vulnerable people or in the humanitarian field, preferably in the field of PSS.
- Knowledge & skills: Excellent analytical and writing skills, creative thinking
- Computer skills: Good knowledge of the MS office software.
- Knowledge of protection programs in Northwest Nigeria/
- Knowledge of protection issues and best practices
- Previous experience in PSS activities plans and designing and implementing of recreational activities.
- Good communicator, strong listening capacity, open minded, proactive and creative
- Respectful and inclusive of individual and cultural differences
- Significant experience involving work engaging people in and from community settings
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa and Fulani)
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local context and MUST be resident in the community.
Application Closing Date
17th July, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online