African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Translator / Reviser (English Language)
Position Number: 50001479
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL3
- The Vice-Presidency, Technology and Corporate Services (TCVP) is responsible for the design, development and delivery of efficient, client-oriented, corporate services and information-technology solutions to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The Complex provides leadership in the formulation and implementation of the Bank’s strategies, policies, controls and approaches on organizational information technology systems, software applications, cyber security, IT support and infrastructure systems.
- The Complex is also responsible for management of the Bank’s real estate assets, institutional procurement, language services and business continuity.
The Hiring Department / Division
- The Language Services Department is responsible for ensuring quality translation of major Bank documents primarily into English and French, but also into Arabic and Portuguese, as well as other languages as required; providing high standard interpretation in English and French or Arabic and Portuguese, editing documents meant for publication and ensuring quality; analyzing and evaluating strategic choices and making relevant recommendations on the use of English and French within the Bank Group; reviewing, updating and implementing practical guidelines and procedures for the efficient delivery of language services; and assisting partner organizations eliciting the Bank’s assistance in establishing, restructuring or improving their language services; promote bilingualism so as to enhance communication among staff and with the Bank’s clients and partners.
- Within the Language Services Department, the mandate of the French and English Translation Division is to provide high-level translation services by ensuring quality translation of all Bank documents primarily into and from the Bank’s working languages (French from English), and occasionally Arabic and Portuguese, as well as editing key documents such as the Bank Group’s Annual Report in English and French.
- Under the general supervision of the French and English Translation Division Manager, the Chief Translator/Reviser (English Language) will translate from French to English complex and confidential documents of the organization; revise documents translated internally or externally by independent translators; and contribute to the design and implementation of quality control mechanisms for translations produced by the Division.
- Translate, from French to English, highly sensitive and technical documents from various sources, including Management and the Boards, using translation memory, terminology databases, and a whole range of CAT tools.
- Revise translations of complex and sensitive documents covering the full range of the Bank’s work, namely: reports of an economic and financial nature, statements from Senior Management, audit reports, planning and programming documents, project appraisal reports, legal documents, etc.
- Aim for and ensure a high standard of accuracy, faithfulness to the spirit, style and nuances of the original document.
- Work with client departments to develop terminology for new concepts in the Bank’s work, as well as ensure compliance with established terminology and consistency among translators.
- Contribute to the development and sharing of terminology within the Division (terminology consultation meetings with all members of the Division).
- Contribute to the performance evaluation of external translators.
- Initiate training programmes on the use of computer-assisted translation tools.
- Supervise and coach less experienced translators, including consultants.
- Lead in-house and freelance translators to build capacity and ensure compliance with professional standards.
- Coordinate translation activities, by serving as focal point for complexes with a view to advising them and monitoring their requests.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- At least a Master’s Degree in Translation or related fields.
- At least 7 (seven) years of professional experience in a similar organization, with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Ability to provide high quality translation and revision for Bank Management and decision-making bodies.
- Ability to contribute to strategic thinking with a view to improving translation and other business
- processes of the Language Services Department.
- Ability to work under pressure, with calm and serenity, setting priorities and managing multiple
- tasks simultaneously.
- Capacity to analyze complex translation requests and scenarios, and find appropriate solutions.
- Capacity to lead, supervise and motivate teams of translators in a complex multicultural environment.
- Ability to communicate efficiently (written and oral) in English and French.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and demonstrate knowledge of other software packages applicable to translation (workflow, scheduling, translation memory, etc.).
Application Closing Date
23rd February, 2024.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should: