The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Sports Officer – Sports for Development (AUSC)
Requisition ID: 1610
Location: Yaounde, Cameroun
Division: AU Sports Council
Reports to: Coordinator
Directorate / Department: Health, Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P3
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Responsible for managing sports-for-development programs, using sport, physical education and physical activity as tools to achieve AU Agenda 2063 aspirations and to promote quality sports.
- Provide technical and intellectual support in the management of various elements related to the area of expertise
- Identify best practices and monitor effectiveness of the Office’s support to AU.
- Assist in the development of the strategies and business continuity plan and participate in/ensure their implementation
- Foster and ensure implementation of initiatives related to area of specialization;
- Assist in the organization of thematic networks, consultations and meetings on development cooperation and international relations.
- Develop materials and provide necessary training and support to Organization Units as required.
- Provide technical guidance on matters relating to system review and implementation project in area of specialization, as required.
- Develop and coordinate robust programmes that advocate the use of sport, physical education, physical activity and recreation as a tool for inclusive socio-economic development to achieve AU Agenda 2063 aspirations.
- Promote inclusive participation and empowerment through sport, physical education, physical activity and recreation for youth, girls, women, people with disabilities and special needs, as well as vulnerable and marginalised groups.
- Promote development and mainstreaming of gender equality, inclusive, safeguarding, good governance and other policy frameworks in sports and alignment to the Policy for Sustainable Development of Sports in Africa.
- Lead in promoting the delivery of access to sustainable mass participation in physical activity, physical education, sport and recreation opportunities (sports-for-all).
- Coordinate the development and promotion of generic coach education and athletes’ development pathways to promote quality high performance sports in Africa.
- Oversee the coordination and development of required legal sports frameworks in Africa that protects the interests of athletes and sports development in Africa.
- Establish programmes and advocate for manufacturing of local sports equipment, sports entrepreneurship and job creation through sports.
- Perform any other duties as directed by the Coordinator.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in a Sports Management, Sports Science, Physical Education, other sports related fields or Social Sciences, with a minimum of seven (7) years relevant work experience in (sports for development, sports management or administration, physical education or sports coaching), out of which three (3) years should be at expert level.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Management, Sports Science, Physical Education, other sports related fields or Social Sciences with a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant work experience in (sports for development, sports management or administration, physical education or sports coaching), out of which three (3) years should be at expert level.
- Computer literacy and use of modern means of communication tools is desirable
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and analytical skills
- Ability to establish and maintain partnerships and to ensure high-level coordination and cooperation with stakeholders.
- Strategic Insight…
- Change Management….
- Managing Risk…
- Building Relationships
- Accountable and Complies with Rules..
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence…
- Conceptual Thinking ….
- Job Knowledge and information sharing..
- Drive for Results
- Continuous Improvement Orientation ….
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of USD37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (48% of basic salary), a Housing allowance of USD18,396.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
13th February, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have meet all the requirements of the post and have been shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.