The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent, humanitarian, non-profit, non-governmental organisation. We provide assistance, protection and durable solutions to refugees and internally displaced persons worldwide. What is NRC? NRC promotes and protects the rights of refugees and people who have been displaced within their own country. We take action during situtations of armed conflict, and engage in other contextes where our competences will add value. The majority of our 5000 staff members are national employees in NRC’s projects in around 25 countries worldwide. All our projects are supervised by the NRC Head Office in Oslo. NRC was established in 1946 under the name Aid to Europe, to assist refugees in Europe after World War II. Today NRC is organised as an independent, private foundation. We cooperate closely with the UN and other humanitarian organisations, around the world as well as in Norway. What does NRC do? Programme Activities: NRC’s main activity is the deliverance of humanitarian aid through programme activities in the field. NRC specialises in five programme areas, or core competences – Shelter, Food Security, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Education, and Information Counselling and Legal Aid (ICLA). The core competences are adaptive to different contexts and mutually reinforcing.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 3 years
- Location: Borno
- Job Field: Human Resources / HR
NRC has been present in Nigeria since 2015 and has been working to help displacement-affected communities meet their basic needs, improve their livelihoods, access essential services, and enhance their resilience to future shocks through our six core competencies: water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), Shelter, Education, Information-Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Livelihoods and Food Security (LFS), Camp Management, and Protection. NRC provides immediate assistance during the onset of emergencies through the rapid response mechanism (RRM). With a workforce of 370 staff and presence in key locations such as Maiduguri (in Borno State), Yola (in Adamawa state), and JOS (in Plateau state), NRC is able to respond to the needs of those affected by the conflict across North-East, and North Central Nigeria. These strategic locations have allowed NRC greater reach from the north and south parts of the North-East and North Central region and allowed NRC to contribute to bridging the gap between humanitarian aid and development cooperation, including through focusing on equitable access to essential services and strengthening the rights of displaced people and returnees. In addition to the Country Office and the above-mentioned Area Offices, NRC has sub-offices structures in Dikwa, Monguno, Biu, Mubi, Pulka and Gwoza.
Under the supervision of the HR and Administration Manager, the HR and Administration Coordinator supports the area offices by ensuring high-quality and cost-effective support to the program/project implementation strategy and ensuring compliance with the designated plan of Action for the HR & Administration strategy.
You will be based in Maiduguri, with frequent travels to the field.
We are looking for people passionate about helping refugees and people forced to flee with proven experience in the international humanitarian sector.
If you are those people, the Norwegian Refugee Council in Nigeria is looking for an enthusiastic and passionate Human Resource and Administration Coordinator to join our Country office Human Resources Team in Maiduguri. You will be responsible for the coordination and delivery of Human Resources and administration generalist operations within NRC Nigeria by increasing the level of efficiency and HR/Admin operation support.
To be successful in this role you will be a confident communicator with excellent relationship-building skills, capable of establishing strong relationships with stakeholders and solution-driven at all levels while supporting new initiatives and operations across the country.
If you are highly organized individually, comfortable with working in a remote environment, and have previous experience in delivering or coordinating administration and human resource functions, we would love to hear from you!
- Ensure development and implementation of administrative systems and procedures
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies and the national labor law in all processes and procedures
- Advice in personnel conflicts/processes when relevant
- Coordinate staff recruitment and exits, introductions, training, staff benefits schemes, etc.
- Coordinate with relevant partners, suppliers, authorities, lawyers, etc.
- Ensure accuracy of staff salaries, and prepare staff payroll every month computing the Taxes and pensions.
- Ensure that staff records in all offices in the area are up to date and filed appropriately in the HR personnel file archive (Physical and electronic)
- Transparently manage the HRMIS/Agresso HR Database. Input employee details, allocate resource numbers, and continuously update to ensure the staff establishment is accurate for payroll and reporting purposes and report to the HR Manager on a regular basis.
we are looking for
Nigeria Nationals only
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Human Resources, Business Administration, Organization Development, Organization psychology, or a related field.
- Confident communicator with the ability to build and maintain relationships with multiple stakeholders at all levels, and challenge with humility when necessary
- Intuitive and empathetic, able to relate to others and build repour
- Highly organized, capable of operating within multiple reporting lines and managing various priorities successfully
- Experience working remotely within a team, meeting workload requirements, and being as effective through delivery as possible.
- A minimum of 3 years of progressive leadership experience in Human Resources positions in INGO
- Specialized training in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, organization development, or employee relations is an advantage
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout Nigeria
- Able to establish and maintain healthy working relationships with staff in course of work.
- Medium proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Internet Explorer.
- Able to deliver effective results, and meet tight deadlines and targets.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Previous work experience in Maiduguri is a plus
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) on ekum.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com to apply