Evidence Action launched formally in 2013 to scale programs with sustainable business models that have been proven to be effective so that they benefit millions of people. Evidence Action leads and manages two programs incubated by Innovations for Poverty Action: Dispensers for Safe Water and the Deworm the World Initiative. We also run Evidence Action Beta where we are currently testing a number of other rigorously-evaluated interventions for scale-up.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 3 years
- Location: Lagos
- Job Field: Finance / Accounting / Audit
- To ensure the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating, and booking transactions and proper serialization and safe filing of documents.
- The position has access to organization’s confidential information that need to be protected by adhering to organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
- The Accountant will act as a resource and/or coordinate resources between South-South and country based projects, and perform other duties as defined by the department lead/leadership.
Duties and responsibilities
Team Management – 10% of role
- Will regularly communicate with South-South program and department lead to identify capacity needs and oversee Finance function.
- Responsible for developing/refining and regularly reporting on Key Performance Indicators and Metrics to management concerning the teams operations and capacity/gaps.
- Represent the Finance team in various South-South program meetings.
Accounting: 80% of role
- Petty cash management.
- Prepare & compute withholding taxes and other statutory deductions in accordance with the Law.
- Monitoring and following up of the staff account and ensuring prompt returns submitted on time and advance tracking sheet is updated.
- Secures financial information by completing database backups, this includes saving all evidence action materials including the scanned payments vouchers to Box.
- Stamping paid and scanning all payment vouchers and ensuring proper document management in Box.
- Filing of finance documents in the approved chronological order applied in the finance department.
- Responsible for accurate maintenance of the Accounting system – Intacct by ensuring accurate entries are done and charged to the correct billing details.
- Verifying all payment vouchers for accuracy and completeness before processing and posting into the accounting system-Intacct.
- Receive and check imprest requests and returns, ensuring that proper documentation is filed for each transaction, relevant approvals have been obtained, etc
- Prepare check request forms for payments attaching all required supporting documents.
- Ensure accurate and timely Cash disbursements and Ensure proper documentation of all payments to staff, Sub grantees and vendors.
- Keeping track of staff expense accounts including reconciling the same and sending their statements whenever they request.
- Provide financial and compliance guidelines/training to program and operation staff..
- Manage accounts receivable from staff by ensuring the returns are compliant as per the policy, accurate and fully supported.
- From time to time prepare periodical financial reports as requested by the head office.
- Supporting Projects to keep all the financial records.
- Ensuring completeness, accuracy and timeliness in the processing of financial information.
Budgeting ,disbursements and accountability: 10% of role
- Continuous and effective budget tracking Ensuring proper budget utilization, proper cost allocations communication and consultation with program and Grants team, full accountability of funds and Accurate charging to donor as per their budgets.
Work Hours and Considerations
- Primary work hours and location must include business hours (9:00am-5:00pm), Monday to Friday, in Evidence Action’s South- South office, adjustments in agreement with the Country Director, Nigeria.
- Off-hour work may be required as necessary for overseeing/completing planned activities, participating in international conference calls across time-zones, or responding to emergency situations.
- Some travel. The Accountant will visit offices across the South-South Zone, and other States within Nigeria when necessary for the purpose of training, project management, and meetings of program and country staff.
- Strategic and tactical critical thinker with good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Confident decision maker who can communicate directions and solutions clearly to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Understanding of the business role Operations and Logistics function within the programs and organization, and to set objectives based on that.
- Demonstrated leadership in managing others.
- Metrics driven performance philosophy.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Windows 7 and 10, Skype, Microsoft Office 2013-16
- Good English written and verbal competence.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, or similar.
- Registered with Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Min 3 years’ work experience in a position with similar responsibilities.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Evidence Action on jobs.workable.com to apply