Chemonics International – We’re one of the world’s leading partners in international development, because where Chemonics works, development works. From our founding in 1975, we have worked in more than 150 countries to help our clients, partners and beneficiaries take on the world’s toughest challenges. Today, we re-imagine global supply chains to deliver essential medicines to the right place at the right time. Our global network of more than 4,000 specialists share an unwavering resolve to work better, driven by a conviction that the world must be better.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountant
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
About the Job
- We are seeking an Accountant for the USAID Lagos Urban Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Activity (LUWASH) in Nigeria. The project aims to increase availability and sustainable management of safe and climate-resilient water and sanitation services in Lagos, Nigeria.
- LUWASH will increase the availability, quality and use of safe water and sanitation services and improve the governance and sustainable management of associated sector institutions in Lagos.
- The activity’s objective is to expand and improve urban WASH service delivery and infrastructure through strengthened governance, increased accountability, and improved financial and technical capabilities of public water utilities and private sector providers. This position will be based in Lagos, Nigeria.
- The project has four components as follows: governance and institutional arrangements strengthened to deliver improved WASH services, public and private service provider performance improved, access to safe and sustainable water services increased, access to safe and sustainable sanitation increased and the quality of source water improved.
- Oversee and track all LUWASH annual budgets and revise expected expenditures on an as-needed basis
- Create, maintain, and effectively manage the LUWASH finance systems, including trackers, procedures, and forms, etc., and conduct regular reviews of finance processes to identify opportunities for improvements
- Ensure LUWASH financial procedures are in compliance with the most recent USAID financial regulations and procedures
- Handle all project invoices and work closely with the procurement and operations teams to process invoices and backup documentation
- Enter and process payments into the project banking system
- Work closely with the Operations, Procurement and HR staff to ensure that internal policies are followed as they relate to procurement processes
- Maintain a proper accounting department, checking the project’s internal control system to ensure that the policies and procedures are being adhered to
- Process payment for local consultants, vendors, grantees, and subcontractors in accordance with USAID/Chemonics accounting procedures and contract policies
- Track sub ledger balances, including receivable accounts for individual staff ensuring that outstanding travel advances are settled before issuing new advances
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of four (4) years of accounting/financial management experience
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with culturally diverse staff
- Demonstrated understanding of USAID and Nigerian bookkeeping rules and requirements
- Knowledge of Nigeria operating environment strongly preferred, including registration, taxes, and labor law
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in written and oral English is required
Application Closing Date
10th February, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter attached to [email protected] using “Accountant” as the subject of the email.
- Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
- Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
- Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice