The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Interpreter (Portuguese)
Requisition ID: 1562
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Head of Interpretation Division
Directorate/Department : Conference Management & Publication
Division : Interpretation
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 4
Job Grade: P4
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Responsible for converting concepts in the source language to equivalent concepts in the target language.
- Provides technical and intellectual support in the management of various partnerships relevant for the Division and Directorate.
- Identifies best practices and monitor effectiveness of the Division/Directorate’s support to AU.
- Contributes to the development of the departmental strategies and business continuity plan and participates in/ensure their implementation
- Involved in negotiations.
- Fosters and ensures implementation of large-scale and long-term initiatives related to strategic partnerships;
- Supports the organization of thematic networks, consultations and meetings on development cooperation and international relations.
- Develops training materials and provide necessary training and support to Organization Units.
- Provides technical resource allocation and policy guidance on matters relating to system -Implementation projects and maintenance.
- Provides simultaneous, consecutive, liaison and other forms from English/French to Portuguese interpretation during conferences, meetings, audiences, discussions and whenever required
- Keeps abreast with developments in both the source and target languages by compiling and regularly up-dating specific terminologies, phrases, special expressions, nuances, lexicons and acronyms and special expressions in order to widen the stock of vocabulary with the aim of enhancing skills and ability
- Helps develop terminology/lexicons of the AU
- Consults colleagues and specialized dictionaries
- Checks appropriate references to ensure exact understanding and use of AU technical terminologies
- Carries out translation and provides support in all interpretation related activities when required
- Performs other related duties that may be assigned by the Director or the Head of Division.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A University Master’s Degree in Conference services, Languages or Interpretation from a recognised institution with ten (10) years of progressive experience out of which six (6) years at expert or specialist level and 3 years at supervisory level.
- Candidates holding a Bachelor’s Degree in either Translation, Modern Languages, Linguistics or related fields of study must have twelve (12) years of progressively responsible experience out of which six (6) years at expert or specialist level and 3 at supervisory level.
- Professional certification in interpretation field will be an added value.
- Leadership and management skills
- Communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge of interpretation procedures and practices;
- Knowledge in international policies and strategies
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, systems and standards
- Planning and Organization skills.
- Proficiency in Portuguese and English/French is mandatory, knowledge of any of the other AU official working languages (Spanish, Arabic, Kiswahili) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight
- Change Management
- Managing Risk.
- Building Relationship
- Accountable and Complies with Rules.
- Learning Orientation.
- Communicating with Influence
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Continuous improvement orientation ….
- Proficiency in Portuguese and English/French is mandatory, knowledge of any of the other AU official working languages (Spanish, Arabic, Kiswahili) is an added advantage
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 42,879.00 (P4 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
19th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.