Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Mine Action Team Leader
Loccation: Maiduguri, Borno
Supervised by: Humanitarian Mine Action Manager
Reporting to: Humanitarian Mine Action Manager
Employment Period: 9 Months
Type of Contract (Expat/National/Trainee): National
Contract type: National contract
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) and its Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding technical unit, has had an operational presence in Nigeria since 2015. DRC Nigeria is the largest DRC country mission in the West Africa region and one of the largest DRC country missions globally.
- Currently, DRC delivers life-saving assistance and protection to vulnerable, conflict-affected populations including internally displaced persons, returnees and host communities in the areas of armed violence reduction, humanitarian mine action, livelihoods, nutrition and food security, protection, shelter and non-food items (NFI) and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in 30+ Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in northeast Nigeria.
- DRC Nigeria is looking to recruit an experienced, highly- qualified and enthusiastic professional to join it’s great Humanitarian Mine Action (HMA) team in Nigeria.
- The role includes Supervision and ensuring the application of the required procedures/technical skills in the implementation of the NTS/EORE activities and Provision of timely reports including corrective measures to the humanitarian mine action manager.
- This position is a technical one requiring a consistent previous experience in a similar position, hence requires a solid knowledge in NTS/EORE activities and team management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the HMA Manager in the identification of areas for NTS processes through desk studies
- Assist the HMA Manager in the planning of Community Liaison tasks
- Implement NTS processes in compliance with relevant SOPs and guidelines, including desk research, individual interviews, focus group discussions, key stakeholders’ interviews, and reporting
- Directly supervise and QA HMA teams under his/her responsibility and ensure compliance with timelines, deadlines, and quality standards and SOPs
- Identify needs for training and capacity building of HMA teams and share with the HMA Manager
- Understand and follow all safety SOPs in Nigeria and communicate any change on the security situation to the HMA Manager and Safety team
- Establish and maintain working relations with local, Ward and LGA authorities and with communities of intervention
- Establish working relations and regular Communications with security stakeholders (police, military, civil defence, vigilantes) in the areas of operations
- Ensure and maintain the equipment in good condition and report any damage to the HMA Manager
- All other responsibilities included into the approved NTS/EORE SOPs.
- University Degree in Social Science or Tertiary Education in any other relevant field will be a recommendation.
- Experience and willingness to work in the field in volatile and insecure areas;
- Ability to work well under pressure and in adverse conditions.
- Demonstrated commitment and strict adherence to confidentiality
- Effective communication skills (written and verbal);
- Proficiency in common computer packages i.e. Word, Excel, Power point etc
- Certificate/Accreditation of participation in a Non-Technical Survey Training by recognized INGO.
- Certificate/Accreditation of participation in a Mine Risk Education (or similar) Training by recognized INGO.
- At Least 4 years of proven previous experience in Explosive Ordnance Risk Education
- Ability to manage and analyse sensitive and confidential information
- Previous experience in conducting interviews and surveys
- Experience living and working in a cross-cultural, multi-sector team environment especially North East Nigeria
- Basic knowledge in IM/GIS or experience using software like Kobo collect, survey 123 and/or similar applications
- Fluency in English and Hausa (and/or Kanuri)
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Excellent communicational skills
- Excellent ability to work in team.
- At least 01 year of proven previous experience as NTS/EORE Team Leader or minimum 03 years of proven experience as NTS/EORE officer or facilitator.
- Knowledge of local communities in Borno state Nigeria.
- Excellent Computer skills.
- The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
- Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
- Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
- Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
- Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Application Closing Date
31st May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online